Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2003 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Scenario is as follows: Child one is working on a laithe changing the the tool when child two comes along and puts laithe into gear and turns the machine on (done through stupidity rather than malisciously). Second child immediately turns the machine off when he realises what he has done and fortunately the first child only suffers bruised fingers, which require strapping for a week. My questions are should there not be an idiot proof system within school workshops to prevent this type of incident occurring? Would the school be required to report this incident under RIDDOR? Would the school have been obliged to carry out a risk assessment for children using these types of machines and if so would they now be obliged to revisit it? Am I within my rights to ask to see such a risk assessment for myself? I work in the oil & gas industry where risk assessment, RIDDOR etc is quite clear cut but I am well out of my depth in relation to Health and Safety Legislation within schools. Any assistance you can offer on the above scenario will be greatly appreciated. Regards Frank
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2003 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley The short answer is yes your first question around foolproof system and risk assessments. Riddor, I doubt it, although the school should have an in house reporting and investigating incidents. I have visited many schools and standards do vary considerably. Most have well organised workshops with fixed barriers in front of the main items of equipment like lathes, table saws, pillar drills etc and have remote foot operated emergency stops. In fact what you would expect in any workshop. The standard is usually set by the teaching staff and some of the risk assessments I have seen are excellent. Often the problem is the occupants. Teachers can be stretched when it comes to supervision of the students. Some do not permit students to operate certain items of equipment and carry out cutting drilling etc for the students themselves. Most have lock out switch boxes to isolate the equipment when not in use. It sounds like you have an understanding of what is needed, why don't you offer a bit of free advice and support to the teachers involved. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2003 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Bob, Only reportable if pupil went to hospital. Yes there should be risk assessment. Most would be based on BS4163. Usually written procedures will say machine should be isolated when making adjustments (but I suspect it doesn't always happen). Suggest you have a look at BS4163. Jack
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2003 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Sanderson Frank, There should certainly be a risk assessment in place. The relevant parts of this should be communicated to the pupils as part of the teaching process.As this accident has occurred the risk assessment should clearly be reviewed.Have you talked to the LEA Health and Safety Adviser for the area. As regards whether or not this is reportable it depends on whether or not the pupil went straight to hospital from the scene of the accident. If the pupil did then the accident is reportable under RIDDOR,if not then it is not reportable but as stated it should be recorded by the school in whatever format they use.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2003 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Having done a lot of work in schools, I am most surprised that a child was changing the tool without direct supervision from the teacher. Most lathe operations that I have witnessed are fully supervised whilst changing the tool. You did not mention how old the child was? In most schools I have visited, use of the lathe at all, is reserved for final year of 6th form students only. With regard to risk assessment - try guidance note 18 in the woodworking Regs. This specifically states that young persons should be supervised whilst using a lathe. Hope this helps