Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2003 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment To my shame I will admit to not being as thoroughly in the know as I should be on this subject. My deputy is, but he's on leave and my update isn't until after Christmas. My organisation has had 'an incident' with asbestos and a number of issues have arisen, the HSE are mulling it over and a serious non clinical incident group has already met. Is there a legal imperative to label any known asbestos (small sticky yellow triangle sign with very brief instructions on who to call if it is damaged)? I am aware of many arguments for and against labelling but what is the strict legal position? The asbestos containing materials have all been sampled and are positive; staff in the area are all aware of these areas and are happy with the management action (well, post incident anyway! and there is a full survey due with many areas likely to be removed by licenced contractors. To sign or not to sign?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon Hi Bryn, You have mail.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2003 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson The Control of Asbestos at Work Regs don't specifically require labelling of asbestos-containing materials, but it's accepted good practice. For example, HSG227 recommends it.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2003 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Many thanks Sharon and Neil
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2003 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Robinson The important feature is that any one who may carry out activities that might expose people to asbestos fibres are given information on the location and condition of asbestos containing materials labeling is one way of doing this check out this letter sent to NHS chief Executives in May http://www.hse.gov.uk/he...s/pdf/asbestosletter.pdf