Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2003 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Hi. Im in the process of putting together a clean up procedure in the event of a blood spillage within a food manufacturing factory. I was wondering if anyone could help out with some of the things that I need to be certain to include? Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Jason, I've got a blood spill procedure which I will send you direct if your email accepts Word attachments. The important thing is to use a chlorine bleach or a spill kit that is validated against blood borne viruses. cheers Diane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2003 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen Thanks Diane, I can indeed accept word attachments. My address is: jason.mcqueen@unilever.com
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2003 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Jason, Here is a procedure for protecting workers from blood-borne pathogens/ viruses. Best wishes Ciaran a. All blood and/ or other body fluids are to be treated as if known to be infectious. b. Workers likely to come into contact with blood and/ or other body fluid spills at road traffic and workplace accidents are to be protected from contact with the spilled fluids. c. The following are the recommended minimum control measures when dealing with blood and other body fluid spills; · Wear protective clothing and impermeable (disposable) gloves, · Cover any cuts, scratches or abrasions with a waterproof adhesive plaster before starting to clean up spills, · Wash immediately and thoroughly where there has been accidental contact with the blood and/ or other body fluid, · Medical advice is to be sought where exposure to bloodborne pathogens is suspected. · Cover the blood and/ or other body fluid spill with a fire retardant absorbent material, · The fluids, once absorbed are to be brushed up (mechanically or manually) and disposed of following local council procedures, · Wash contaminated laundry thoroughly before re-use, d. Risk assessments are to determine whether there is a need for more detailed control measures.