Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2003 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie We have a standard value to be used in our risk assessments for the cost of a life, I was wondering if anyone has a cost of a major injury figure. I am keen to know this because I am aware of cases where the payout for a major injury is much more than if a fatality occured (due to possible long term care costs, distress etc.) When carrying out a risk assessment we assume 1 fatality is equivalent to 10 major injuries, but there is a lot of debate as to how to deal with this. Anybody's experience in this area would be more than welcome. Andy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2003 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The HSE document, Reducing Risks Protecting People (R2P2) has some figures in context of cost benefit analysis for safety improvement calculations on page 65:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/dst/r2p2.pdf There is an HSE publication, "The costs to Britain of workplace accidents and work-related ill health in 1995/96" by Neil Davies and Paul Teasdale. This is the 2nd edition ( feb 1999) revised by Fiammetta Gordon and David Risley (HSE Economic Advisers Unit). It has unit costs of injuries for employers, but does not take into account societal costs.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2003 21:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Research, which I can quote, has shown that there is no way of calculating the cost of a specific injury or incident. There are too many variables, estimations and unknowns. About 10 years ago the French social security system calculated that an injury resulting in permanent disability (will never work again) would cost the employer about £60 000 in medical fees and disability pension (which, here, are biiled back to the employer) Which seems quite cheap, actually. A number of companies use a sort of "actuarial" or notional figure to keep track of average injury costs. The minimum seems to come out at £3 000 just for having someone off work plus about £600 per lost day. This is usually stated as"direct costs" with "indirect costs" quoted as being from 3 to 5 times the direct. There is a lot of detail in all this, maybe some of our more up-to-date colleagues will supply the details.