Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2003 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Eight police officers who were suspended after an unlawful killing verdict have now begun legal action to uverturn the verdict of unlawful killing. They have appealed against the verdict of unlawful killing on the basis that "he [the deceased] was restrained in line with police guidelines". (The news item can be viewed at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3340285.stm)

Physical Restraint is an activity that should be risk assessed like any other, with considerations given to the hazards associated with restraint (which are well documented) that could cause death. However, what employers / management tend to rely primarily on is training that has been "approved" by certain "professional bodies". (As a note many professional bodies do not have professional coaching qualifications to teach the skill the propose to govern!)

The implications of any future finding in this case is that employers who are responsible for providing restraint training must ensure that the training they provide, and the associated guidance, reduces the risk of death to it's lowest possible factor and that merely 'complying' with guidance issued by "professional bodies" or engaging the services of "approved" trainers (trainers approved by so called "professional bodies") is not enough. It is the employers responsibility to carry out suitable and sufficient assessments of risk and continually monitor and review their training to ensure that improvements are made where necessary. In addition the training must be based on a lawfully accurate assessment of legal principles and not primarily on opinions of trainers or managers with no understanding of the law.

Mark Dawes
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2003 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I can't decide if this is a news bulletin, an advert or a genuine discussion topic.

Are you looking for a response Mark?

If so, on what point?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2003 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Hi Geoff

I have put the posting up to raise awareness to a subject that can create a liability for all employers whose staff may have to use physical restraint.

Many public and private sector staff restain as part of their emplyed role. However, in the vast majority of cases, the activity is poorly assessed for risk if at all.

What employers seem to rely on is trainers beng "approved" by certain "governing bodies". However, relying on such approval can in itself create a liability for the employer who may be advocating the use of a certain system of restraint withnin "approved guidelines" in absence of undertaking a thorough risk assessment.

Due to recent cases (Lister v Hesley Hall, Vowles v Welsh Rugby Union, etc) employers may be leaving themselves wide open to not only appeals but also claims of negligence under vicarous liability as well as breaches of Human Rights Legiclation (Article 2) where the contol of the activity [restraint] is dependant primarily on association or recognition of certain approved standards or guidance and not on an assessment of risk.

In many cases staff are taught a system restraint or have guidance imposed upon them that in some cases either does not work or actually increases risk. Then staff find themselves in the frame when things go wrong, and that is not right.

In one Social Services Directorate this year we have come across physical restrain techniques being taught that increase the risk of death. A Governmet document, issued in 2000, stated that those particular techniques should not be taught for the very same reason. However, the Directorate had engaged the trainers purely on the basis that they were "accredited' by a particular "Institute" and as such had increased the risk of death and their liability.

If you want more information on this let me have your e-mail and I will forward you a report on the subject so you may better understand what the issues are.

In summary, physical restraint can result in death. Therefore my aim in posting the subject is to reduce the risk of death as well as protectng staff and ethical companies from foreseeable prosecutionand also to raise awareness to a subject that can have devastating personal implications for the staff involved and the families of the deceased.

People shouldn't be dying out of ignorance.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2003 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim O'Dwyer
The way things are going out there - more people are going to need to be physically restrained next year than ever before!

So, whatever your purpose was, thanks for helping to raise awareness of the dangers and the legal expectations Mark!

Best wishes,

Jim O'Dwyer
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2003 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Thompson
It is intersesting to note your comments, but being aware that Risk assessments have to be suitable and sufficient. is it expected that prior to applying physical restraint, a dynamic risk assessment is documented.
We have the best trained Police Service in the world in the UK and they have used restraint techniques since the days of Robert Peel with relatively few fatalities. Is it suggested that because they do not have letters after their names or professional qualifications that the training and experience is to be discounted.
I acknowledge that one fatality is too many but risk assessment should not only be required to assess the risks to the agressor but also those risks to the persons who are required by law to restrain other persons from their liberty (Police officers etc)How would the enquirer persuade the relatives of those Oficers recently involved in the fatal shooting of one of their number that they should further hesitate before acting. Should this enquiry now be re worded to "death due to the lack of Physical Restraint" Unfortunately there are times when physical restraint has to be used and that level of restraint has to be relevant to the resistance offered by the aggressor.

Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2003 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Dear John

You are obviously uspet by my recent posting so I thought I would attempt to clarify your possible lack of understanding of the issues I have raised.

I accept that police officers have a difficult and at times dangerous job to do. I have also been in the font-line on many occassions where have personally been attacked with knives and I have been shot at, therefore I do appreciate the risks and difficulties they face.

Regarding the issue of the recent fatal shooting I do not feel it is appropriate for me to comment on it as I am raising the issue fo physical restraint not firearms incidents.

The comment you have made on risk assesments including the risks to officers who are expected to use physical restraint is absolutely correct as a risk assessment should be designed to encapsulate the risks posed to all parties.

On that basis training for staff should be comprehensive enough to alow staff to use their subjective judgement, skill and knowledge at their discretion as a form of 'dynamic risk assesssment' if you like to reduce the risk of injury to all concerned - including themselves.

I am surprised however, that someone who is, I presume, a health and safety professional doesn't undertsand the objective concept of what I have raisied and has taken the issue so personally. The actual risks associated with restraint are well documented, including empirical police research, which shows the specific risks associted with restraint and what safeguards should be used. I suggest you research the findings as they show a number of significant consistent factors that increase the risk of death. Most others have moved forward since Robert Peel!

Mark Dawes
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2003 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I don't see John's response as being 'upset' or being as you imply unprofessional - surely he is just raising a point.

The purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss, and people do have quite valid different points of view!

Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2003 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Mark,

Don't understand what the issue is here, I would have thought that the safety of the restrainer is more important that the restrainee on the grounds of 'reasonable force'. Do these restrainers do this lightly with no regard? or is there a training issue.

What accreditation do you need to become a trainer in this technique and what 'institute' accredts?

Who has the legal right to restrain anybody?

just asking as I don't know?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott
This is obviously a subject that you are very passionate about - but I don't seem to understand the purpose of the thread ?

Sorry..
Admin  
#10 Posted : 30 December 2003 18:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Hi Dave

In answer to your question Article 2 of the Human Rights Act 1998 (which came into effect in the UK on the 2nd October 2000) promotes a positive obligation on public authorities and public officials to promote a "positive obligation to preserve life".

Therefore, with regard to the safety of the restraier or restrainee both are equally protected by law as the Act requires public authorities and public officials to take positive steps to protect and preserve life and prevents the same from taking life expect in line with the exhaustive exceptions in Article 2(2)(a)(b)(c).

Under case law (McCann v United Kingdom) the Judge summed up by stating that "in making it's decision the Court will take into consideration not only the actions of the organs of the state who actually administer the force but also the surrounding circumstances including such matters as the planning and control of the actions under examination. This idea of planning and control is important. The Court held that the State must give appropriate training, instructions and briefing to its agents who are faced with a situation where the use of lethal force is possible. The State must also exercise strict control over any operations taht may involve the use of lethal force."

Therefore there is a training issue here whch brings us back to the involvement of health and safety when expecting employed staff to restrain in whatever capacity or prfessional role. Any training, if it is to comply with the law must involve "positive steps" to redcue the risk of death.

With regad to "Reasonable Force" Human Rights legislation now applies a stricter and more compelling test when considerng use of force options. In essnce it places an objective responsibility on employers in the first instance to ensure that in training staff the risk is reduced to it's lowest posible factor in line with promoting a positive obligation to preserve life as required by Human Rights legislation.

Employers can no longer expect staff to use physical force, offer limited training that may in some cases be either inappropriate or ineffective, and then place staff in the frame when things go wrong. It comes down to the basics of risk assessment and a knowledge of all aspects of the field.

Due to the well documented risk of using phsycial restraint risk assessments should therefore, by default, be more in-depth to reduce those risks where they are apparent.

I have forwarded you a copy of a report by e-mail which I am sure will answer many of your questions.

If you need anything else just let me know.

Mark Dawes
Admin  
#11 Posted : 31 December 2003 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim O'Dwyer
Hi,

If you are reading this thread, you may be interested to know about the case of Dominic Harvey v Northumberland County Council (2003) CA (Lord Woolf LCJ, Scott Baker LJ)

This was an Appeal by the defendent employer ('N') arising from the decision of His Honour Judge Moorhouse at Newcastle upon Tyne County Court on the 9th October 2002, allowing the claimant's ('H') claim for damages arising out of an accident that occurred at work on the 9th June 1998.

'H' was employed as a residential social worker at Kyloe House, Morpeth, which was run by 'N'.

H's claim was that whilst restraining an unruly child, he was caused to twist sharpley causing injury to his right knee. He blamed his injury on inadequate training in restraint techniques.

N's training policy had been formulated in 1992 and that no changes had been made since then. This, N explained was because they had been awaiting guidance from the government.

N had commissioned an internal report of training matters and had produced a report ( 'the Gilbert report' ). This was produced in evidence and was relied upon by the Judge in his conclusion that issues surrounding training had been raised by staff members but not acted upon.

Held:

(1) The Gilbert Report ( an internal document) dealt generally with restraint techniques rather than specifically making recommendations. However, it was self evident from the report that there were safer restraint techniques than those that were being used at the date of the incident.

(2) It was agreed by all that training was required in regard to restraint procedures, but that training was put on hold pending official reports.

There was no evidence of the management seeking to find out what other methods of training techniques were available in that period.

(3) As the employer, N had a common law obligation to take reasonable steps to ensure the workplace is safe. It could not put that obligation on hold pending advice from official departments. It was the responsibility of N to ensure H was safe at work and it failed to discharge that responsibility.

(4) The Judge was accordingly fully entitled to find in favour of N.

Result: Appeal Dismissed

Representatives:

Catherine Foster instructed by Crutes (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) for N.

Michael Ditchfield instructed by Gibson and Co (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) for H.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if employers had free access to an up-to-date schedule of relevant legal cases and findings on safety related issues like restraint training?

Best wishes

Jim O'Dwyer

Admin  
#12 Posted : 31 December 2003 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Other payouts that have been ade are:

1. $5.7 Million (AUS) [equivalent to £2.1 milliion awarded against a National Coach as a result of an unreversable back injury sustained during training. Although this happened in Australia it sets a precedent here and is one of the reasons that some UK insurers will not insure restraint instructors!

2. £324,000 to the family of Richard O'Brien who died as a result of being arrested and restrained for being drunk and disorderly. At the inquest Sir Montague Levine said that the case "reflected an appalling lack of instruction" among officers in restraint techniques.

3. £190,000 to a teacher assaulted at work by a teenage pupil suffering from severe psychiatric problems. The Judge ruled that the London Borough of newham was negligent for not revealing the need for fuller restraint of the pupil.

Also, allegedly, there has been an out of court settlement of £250,000 for an injury received during restraint training in the UK. Anyone know anything about it?

Mark Dawes
Admin  
#13 Posted : 31 December 2003 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim O'Dwyer
I know that staff may actually be more at risk of injury on some 'physical management skills' training courses than in the workplace.

Gournay (2001) reported 18.8% of nursing staff had sustained injuries whilst participating on training courses, with ‘one in six of these requiring some medical attention’.

Best wishes,

Jim O'Dwyer
Admin  
#14 Posted : 14 January 2004 23:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colan Ash
This posting raises an important issue for safety professional responsible for commissioning training for staff. Having been responsible for commissioning training for staff who had to physically restrain or otherwise deal with aggressive clients, the problem of identifying competent trainers and adequate training programmes became a mine field.
Many trainers claimed to be affiliated to national organisations or offered accredited training but when I researched these claims it became apparent they were commercial organisations offering self designed and self accredited training. Often quoted was ‘home office approved’ training, which as far as I can ascertain does not exist and seems to be training emanating from prisons. Several trainers claimed competency based on careers in the police, armed forces or a martial arts background and offered ‘off the shelf’ courses without reference to local risk assessments, incidents or staff surveys. The NTO national standards for violence do not cover the techniques or content of staff training and there do not appear to be any national standards in this field.
After months of research, I have now commissioned training which has been based on research, risk assessments, the law (not just H&S) and tailored to our needs and I feel it would stand the test in court, but wonder if this is an area IOSH could assist with guidance or minimum standards for such training?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2004 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim O'Dwyer
I agree with what you say Colan.

Given that it is something that occurs routinely in many workplaces, it is incredible that there isn't a National Standard of training in Physical Intervention and Restraint.

Isn't it?

I think you'll find that there has been many attempts to set national standards - but these have all been frustrated one way or another. (It's a commercial world out there!)

The basis for creating a new national standard?

At the end of the training, the trainees must be capable of carrying out their responsibilities safely within the 'Code of Conduct' that applies to Teachers in relation to the use of force on pupils.

Check it out.

Section 550A of the Education Act 1996: The Use of force to Control or Restrain Pupils.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/p...thelaw/10_98/summary.htm

Best wishes,

Jim O'Dwyer