Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2004 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts
Happy new year tio every one.

My first question for the year is has any body got a simple format or template for yard procedures. The issues are loading and unloding, forklift operations contaner stacking. I have carried out the risk assessments but a template for particular procedures would be useful.

Lew.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2004 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

I haven't as yet had any esponse to this topic. Would it be true to say that not many companies oprate a a procedure system for these activities or is another type system best placed to deal with the issues.

Lew
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2004 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Lew,

It all depends on what you mean by "yard activities" - each yard will have different activites and requirements. For example, ours not only has a forklift onsite but also has occasional major crane lifts. The approach to the latter differs significantly from the former, where we only require that the forklift is operated by trained personnel. We also have gas cages and bottles, pressurised sample containers, various cargo containers and a number of vans and trucks. Not to mention that the gases and samples are classified as "hazardous" and "dangerous cargo"!

All of these activities are performed under the auspices of our Materials Co-ordinator to ensure that activities are being carried out safely. There is no need for a procedure as such as long as basic principles are followed, although individual activities are subject to procedure and risk assessment and we do have a lift plan for the major lift which requires a lift controller to be in charge, the lift area to be defined and marked off to prevent unauthorised access during the lift, adequate area for stabilisation of the crane and swing area to be kept clear of any personnel once under load and/or moving, lift performed by a competent individual operating the crane, etc. etc.. All of this follows HSE and industry guidelines.

Could you give us the nature of the activities involved?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2004 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Sean,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question we have forklift both front end and side loader, mobile crane, overhead crane, deliveries to and from our premises and outside storage activities (container stacking) .

Lew
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2004 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Dear all,

My question still remains with respect to a simple template. Does anybody use such a procedure template for the activities described that wouldn't mind me having a gander?

In addition with the lack of response would I be correct in assuming that others perhaps with the same or similar situation have for pehaps good reasons not developed such procedures.

Lew
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2004 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson
Lewis,
We have FLT's HGV's and also alot of farm machinery using our yard.
I found that the easiest way to achieve safe procedures is to go back and look at the risk assessments you made, if they where completed for each individual activity then it should not be difficult to work in reverse from the assessments and concieve a work instruction and therfore a safe system of work.
Hope this will help
Anita