Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2004 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jayne Freeman
Hi,

Our staff go out to patients homes in order to give medical treatment. An issue has been raised, in which a member of staff was subjected to a very smokey atmosphere during a visit and the patient refused to open any windows due to letting the cold in. We obviously cannot stop people smoking in their own home and we cannot refuse to give medical treatment, but we do have a duty to ensure the health of our staff, and cigarette smoke can be classed as a carcinogenic substance/material.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or policies in place?

Would appreciate you comments.

Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2004 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
This can be a trickey one but it does remind me of a Drs practice on whose panel I was was found. The Senior partner was approached through a fog of cigarette smoke, of 1950s London proportions, for a consultation. The thoughtful among you would say go to the other partners. One was a chain cigar smoker and the other a continuous pipe puffer. - Birds of a feather comes to mind nowadays. There are only two options really

a) Make treatment conditional on clean air at the outset of treatment
or
b) Ask the last remaining smokers on staff if they are prepared to do the visit.

As a reformed smoker I am very aware now of the effect I had on others - sometimes smokers are not aware of the problems they are causing. I wou8ld not advocate any policy which required non-smoking staff to enter such a place. The other problem is that the odour clings and is taken on to the next patient who may be a non-smoker or allergic to the odour.

Bob

Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2004 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Bob - allergic to the odour of smoke. I learn something every day - what are the symptoms?

Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2004 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Westrupp
Jayne
This is a really difficult issue, particularly as our staff do not like to refuse care and in some cases cannot refuse care. However, the following approach has been found to work.
Step 1 - explain to the patient that they are putting staff at risk and making it difficult for them to treat the healthcare problem. Ask if they would be willing to not smoke for an hour or two before the visit and to ventilate the room in which treatment is to take place.
Step 2 - talk to the carers/family and explain the problem. Ask if it is possible for the patient to be brought in to the clinic/health centre.
Step 3 - issue staff with a suitable face mask to filter the particulates - this often makes the patient co-operative on ventilation and refraining from smoking during a visit.
Step 4 - threaten to withdraw service (not possible in some cases due to statutory duties), but only do this if your organisation is prepared to back it up - this often takes up to 6 months of letters, senior manager visits etc. but can be done and in some cases in some areas has been.

The last option is extremely difficult for healthcare professionals to come to terms with but should remain an option.
Good Luck
Linda
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2004 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Geoff
The particulates and gases present in cigarette smoke contains many organo compounds and one can anticpate many of these are capable of producing allergic responses. There is a debate that asthma for some people has an allergenic component. Are you seriously thinking that cigaretes and other tobacco products are mere irritants?

Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2004 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Bob

I'm not thinking anything at the moment - I've just learnt that the odour of smoking (the smell, not the smoke) on peoples clothes can trigger allergies. All I have asked is how these allergies manifest themself.

Do you have any cases or references I could look at? It is not something I knew of before or had even thought about.

Geoff
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2004 23:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
I work for a local authority. We operate a total 'Smoking Ban' This includes a total exclusion zone I.E not on council premises, vehicles, or employees cars who are payed essencial car user allowance and are on council business.

If we visit a tenant in there own homes, we cannot stop them smoking in our presence. However I can explain the policy and ask them to refrain during the visit. If no cooperation I rearange another visit at a more convenient time.

I do not have to expose myself to the risk as I am protected by the policy.

Hope this helps

Mike
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2004 19:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Tried to do a bit of research on this ref allergies to smells but I'm not getting very far.

There is an interesting one though on Google.

Some chap thought he was allergic to the smell of old Steinway pianos. It turned out he was allergic to the mould that grows in old pianos!

I never got past the Blue Danube myself.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2004 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Geoff
You need to remember that a smell is indicative only to the impingement of either gas, vapour or solid particulate on the sensory detectors in your nasal organ. If any of these are capable of being an allergen then an allergic response may arise in susceptible individuals.

Perhaps you are sniffing out the information with incorrect search terminology!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Admin  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2004 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
So, to be pedantic, it's not the smell people might be allergic to, but the presence of matter indicated by the smell!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2004 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
As they say

Its not the coughin that you need to worry about but the coffin they carry you offin.

Sorry about that