Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2004 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wright We are a Local Authority with 3 building surveyors who have in the past carried out Type 1 presumptive asbestos surveys. They have attended and passed the P402 written exam but now have to submit 2 sampling surveys to BOHS - if acceptable, then full P402 status is achieved. There is reluctance to do these sampling surveys as we may only ever need these building surveyors to do Type 1 surveys due to the cost of buying and maintaining all the necessary sampling equipment plus the fact that our surveyors do not want to sample. We will then use external consultants to do all the Type 2 and Type 3 asbestos surveys required. If questioned on the competency of our surveyors in doing Type 1 asbestos surveys - would the past experience and the part-completion of the P402 course be a valid justification in using them or are we now in a situation with CAWR 2002 that you must be at least fully passed with the P402 to do even a Type 1 asbestos survey?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2004 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philosophical Simon, I would recommend you consult MDHS 100 - Surveying, sampling and assessment of asbestos containing materials. This identifies what is required from each type of survey, from which you can determine the competency requirements. I would suggest that for a type 1 survey the requirement is for a surveyor to have an understanding of where ACMs may be found and in what type of material. They should then be able to make a judgment on whether the material will contin asbestos or not. Basically you are asking the surveyor to make a presumption of its presence or not, again, MDHS 100 will help with this. Without reviewing the content of the BOHS course I would assume that your surveyors have been trained and assessed in the areas suggested and based on their experience would be capable of making these judgments - remember, competence isn't just about training, but also relates to skills, knowledge and experience. So in summary, I wouldn't necessarily advocate them doing the sampling element if they aren't going to be carrying out sampling. That's my opinion for what it's worth! Regards, Andy
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2004 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm with Andy on this as you are only considering in-house surveying. The CAWR Regs requirement is for competence and the areas of competence are to perform the tasks set out in Reg 4 - which you can check against the training, experience, etc received (with evidence) to date. EN45004 and accreditation only arrive in MDHS100 for organisations offering an asbestos survey service and BIOH is given as an example.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2004 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Just a word of warning, in the limited amount of Type 1 surveys that I have undertaken (most go for Type 2), then the client more often has the additional cost of then undertaking the Type 2 survey thereafter! It's just like the employer issuing 13 quids worth of safety footwear only to go through 3 pairs per year for each employee. Why not buy the 25 quid ones in the first place?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2004 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor A careful judgement needs to be made here taking into account the nature and number of the properties, etc. Going for a Type 2 in the first instance can result in loads of expensive sampling for areas where management as asbestos is going to be the decision anyway. After a Type 1 a decision can be made as to which need a Type 2 or where sampling is needed. Getting quotes from a number of accredited companies can be quite enlightening in this respect.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall I think alot of businesses are leaving the surveying to the last minute!