Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2004 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary May An idea has been suggested to use quad 4x4 bikes to deliver a brine/salt solution to high priority pavements in the town centre - has any members seen this done before? - if so can you give me details so that i can liaise in the setting of our programme. Yes i know its moved a long way from using a spade to throw the salt from a truck...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2004 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke There are definatly road legal quads out there. I am told you can tow a salt spinner behind them. But if you are doing the old manual handling bit and shovelling the salt out, how are you going to get two persons to the location as they are only allowed to carry one person? Also, even though you don't have to wear head protection etc (like on a bike) we all know it'd be best if they did. Then the training... you are allowed to drive one if you have a full bike licence, but are they competant? Quads have a fixed diff so are more prone to tipping on corners, so a biker would be safer on one (I presume). Ok, too much information? Linda.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2004 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary May Thanks for your response Linda - the old method was using a vehicle with a man on the back throwing salt - the new idea is a single man riding a quad bike spraying salt/brine on the footpaths. What im looking for is other Authorities that use this method.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2004 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Muldoon Im sure I saw them gritting using quad bikes at the Trafford Centre, Manchester recently. May be worth getting in touch with them. HTH
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2004 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP Yes we've done it here in Birmingham- contact Jan Cottrell, Safety Officer, on: jan_cottrell@birmingham.gov.uk or phone 0121 303 7147
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2004 10:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd I think you do have to wear a helmet when riding a quad. I'm not sure where the requirement comes from (i.e. if it is spelt out in law anywhere), but if you look through the HSEs database of improvement and prohibition notices, you will see lots for the wearing of crash helmets on quad bikes on farms. Also, in the Dec 2003 issue of the HSE Newsletter, there is an article about an HSE blitz on Isle of Wight farms which highlights untrained workers using telescopic handlers and quad bikes, and a subsequent training initiative. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2004 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jan Cottrell Yes, we use a Quad bike in Birmingham City Centre. I'm told that Liverpool have a fleet of 4! We use a liquid acetate, contained in a tank on the rear of the bike, which is sprayed onto the footway using a pump. All the users/operatives have undergone a 1 day training course, which is valid for 3 years. A crash helmet is worn as a precautionary measure. Ours is a 4-stroke 200cc machine using unleaded petrol. You need to take into consideration the type of surface it's to be used on: it is not satisfactory on York stone due to its impermeability (it pools). It's important to only use the spray as directed, not just for CoSHH, but also because "overdosing" an area can cause slips when people enter buildings with hard shiny floors, having walked through pools of it. I can let you have more details.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2004 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary May Many thanks Jan - if you have more information i would welcome it.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2004 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jan Cottrell I'll get back to you after lunch!