Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2004 22:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould What a superb program. I have to commend the lady who ran the shutter door buisness. Her approach to her employees and workplace safety was exemplary compared to her replacement who insisted on going on shop floor in flipflops over-ruling everyone on the way. Next weeks episode looks even better. For those who havnt got a clue what Im on about, Hopefully other will conribute their opions and shed more light on the program. Going to be a good series Verdict 10/10 And well done Pete the Engineering Director for sticking by your guns.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2004 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones In total agreement with Jason. Mrs S's comment about 98% of manufacturers being like the scaffold company with scant regard paid to H & S must be pretty close to the mark for a lot of independent companies. Chalk and cheese the two businesses may be, but I know which one I'd rather be with! Look forward to next week.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2004 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser One wonders how many of the general public viewing the programme would agree with your views, chaps! After the discussions we've already had about the way H&S is portrayed in the media, there is the probability that there are others out there who might have admired the approach of the male boss over that of the female (I confess now I didn't watch it and don't know the names as a result).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2004 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope Yes I agree, Very interesting programme highlighting different management styles. I was left hoping that the HSE/enforcing bodies were watching the same programme and that they were going to target them for a visit. I will be watching next weeks show with interest. Alan B
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Absolutely Sean. My Wife seemed to side with the male boss for the fist halve of the program, (I think she was winding me up aswell) By the end, she did state her preference to work for Mr.S company. It was all about respect to employees for her and although he was a nice enough bloke and down to earth (like so many). His unwillingness to even Consider improvement In H&S and other staf issues convinced her. One very strong point I picked up on was the employees perception to H&S which mirrored that of their bosses. That has convinced me of the positive safety culture theory (of which I have been a sceptic in the past myself). I would reccomend recording the series as I suspect their are going to be many training aids to come from the program. Regards Jason
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2004 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Smurfer Talking of TV, did anyone see Coronation St on monday and the pitiful regard to safety when moving asbestos cement sheets. One guy had his disposable face mask below his nose, whilst the other removed his mask to talk to a neighbour whilst carrying an open bag of the sheets! Neither had their hoods up. Gives jobbing builders a bad name? ;-)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2004 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark J. Jones On a similar note, did anyone see a recent Bob the Builder where Bob clearly encouraged Lofty to lift beyond his SWL and Spud never wears a hard hat!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2004 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Smurfer Nice one,Mark! How are we to instill a regard for H&S into the young when TV shows a blatant disregard for its moral obligations!! ;-)
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2004 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Mark said: "...Spud never wears a hard hat!" He ought to watch out, or he'll get the stuffing knocked out of him. PS Happy New Year to one & all.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 January 2004 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray I am surprised that of those who saw the programme and the stance the female took over health and safety, that you have not spotted her deliberate mistake at the end of the programme. Was that a pallet she was stood on, on the raised forks of the forklift, to breal the bottle of champagne on the side of the building. Is this a case of I don't practice what I preach?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 14 January 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope Isn't it strange that whenever TV programmes of this nature are discussed on this site Bob the Builder always comes up. Is this the level of TV programmes watched by hardened Safety Professionals? And I bet these are from those that do not have children! Keep watching Regards Alan B
Admin  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2004 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark J. Jones Alan, Two kids, both under 4 - so you see I am forced to watch it, both on TV and repeated on video every Saturday morning. Honestly!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2004 19:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion Did not see much of the programme. Did see the programme on C4 about developing a house in London, there were issues there. Coronation Street there were problems with suitable PPE and does the builder have a licence for asbestos? My daughter - currently 17.5 and 14.5 both hear about H&S from me and have brought to my attention the contractors working at their school without appropriate PPE. They tell me what they are NOT wearing. As for Bob the builder they also tell me what they see. As am often busy do not get a lot of chace to see Bob the builder. Jeff Manion, MIOSH, RSP, MRSH, MIIRSM