Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2004 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jamie Walsh
As a Environmental and occupational health tech in the Army, I am constantly amazed by the costs of CPD packages, seminars, courses and anything that has a 'Health and Safety' tag. Much as I would like to attend some of these meetings etc my employer currently cannot afford to renew civil servants contracts or mount exercises overseas, yet alone pay £300 for me to attend a seminar. I think IOSH is as guilty as anyone, and for lowly TechSPs such as myself there is little incentive in becoming involved.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2004 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
Well, you may be right.
But then, there's the cost of not becoming
H&S educated.
My company spends thousands a year on H&S courses, their consultants tell them they have to do THIS and THAT...and it'll cost THIS.....
The workforce go to manual handling courses, forklift driver training, slinging courses, first aid courses, fire courses...courses to recognise the hazards of high pressure gases...it's an endless procession of courses...all driven by the companies insurance....and all NOT to prevent accidents but to limit liability when one happens...and the one connection between all the courses....someone gets paid...and not a small amount...a one-day forklift course cost £175.00 per person.
As the workshop manager said: "at the end of this the only thing you'll be able to blame us for is if we run you over in the car park"
(but then, the notice says that the company doesn't accept liability for that either)
Yep, you're right...the H&S money-go-round is rotating very well indeed thankyou.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2004 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
A good point John - doing the right things for the wrong reasons and wrong intention. Seeking to limit liability is simply not acknowledging the source of the potential claim and therefore will not eliminate that entirely (or ALARP), so that there is no (or little) possibility of a claim in the first place. Just by trining someone, doesn't mean they understood it or retained it sufficiently for later use. And because most courses are generic, they don't take enough account of different working environments and may provide a false impression that their approach to a particular legislative requirement must be the one and only way to do it - so when the trainee returns and finds that the organisation doesn't do it that way (or even do it at all) then they decide that their company is deficient in it's approach to safety and another example of the bosses exploiting the workers. As the song say, it ain't necessarily so but you might find it difficult to persuade them otherwise. I have had direct experience of the maxim " a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" in this way and this is a concern. They thnk they know, but they haven't actually understood.

I think Jamie is right to raise this point - the cost of courses can be a burden and many companies are torn between saving money by not sending people on courses they know aren't necessarily valuable, and limiting their liability in case of a claim (or the more unlikely event that they'll get an HSE inspection and possible prosecution). The problem is not the course providers though - it is the short-term thinking of our finance driven market economy which is now pervading our public sector, and the increasing fear of nebulous litigation.

Cheap is not always best, but wasteful carte blanche spending is not effective either. What is needed is a balance, appropriate to the level and complexity of risk. Competence (a subject routinely debated on this forum) is the key - training is only a part, it is the understanding and practical application of the training that justifies the expenditure.

To me, the most effective thing to teach employees [& employers] (apart form hazard awareness and the concept of proportional risk) is effective planning - planning of the workspace, planning of the work process and planning of arrangements to make things happen. Time and again it is the claim that "I wasn't thinking" that is used to excuse human error, which contributes to over 80% of all accidents. Just thinking about it first prepares one for possible problems and to ahve contingencies to hand should they be needed.

I should have thought of the fact that a safety harness would help prevent injury should I fall off the scaffold BEFORE I started the work, not once I've started the long fall down!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2004 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott
Very comprehensive reply - and I also agree that the cost of attending seminars can be over-the-top! The IOSH seminar didn't seem to me to be good value for money, sorry to anyone who does not agree with that.

As to courses and training, I would say shop around. I recently signed up a 2-man First Aid training team - they competent and highly skilled/qualified. They don't charge us OTT booking, training and "other" fees (I'm thinking St Johns and Red Cross here. These guys tailor the course to suit the environment / workplace - and it is exceptionally good value for money.

Feed back from staff is very good, those being trained feel like the trainers are taking individual responsibility for each participant, and they work to the slowest learning capacity. I'm very impressed with them.

Like car insurance... it helps to shop around :)

Chris
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel
We recently cut the costs of CDM, Vibration and Noise "Competency" training by 50% by going directly to the presenters of the courses and cutting out the middlemen
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2004 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
If you already have membership of IOSH, why not attend their local branch meetings? These can be used to gain CPD points, thus maintaining your competence and are free to members.

Shane.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2004 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Jamie,

As an ex RN EHO who did the EHA training with the RAMC at Keogh way back in the distant past (80's), My advice get on the 'Gobs' course mate and get a BSc in Env Health then branch into H&S after that if you so wish.

Things still havent changed then, the Military do not put 'uniformed' people on civillian courses or pay professional fees etc.

Read the Articles on EH in IRAQ (Jan EHJ)very interesting and see that the way of doing things still hasn't changed.

Capt 'Rat' Moore still there then? Say Hi 4 me.

Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2004 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Aside from any moral issues Bob, I'm surprised the presenters agreed to that, especially if they get other work from the 'middlemen'.

I wouldn't like to think that associate consultants employed by our company would think it ethical to then trade directly with our clients.

It's a free market but you should also take into account the back up you get - it isn't just a matter of the bottom line - or is it?