Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hilditch Searching around for prices on NVQ's (Levels 3 and 4) it is evident thst some Centres charge about £1900 yet some as expensive as £3500. It is hard to distinguish how I can get value for money. Any ideas?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2004 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Martin, However, much you pay for the NVQ assessment, if you are looking for IOSH membership using it please ask the provider if they have had any previous candidates who have succesfully obtained this. Most providers are OK but there are some that are better than others- again ask if they can give you the name of a succesful candidate who you could contact to talk through their experience of the process. There is a wide variety in the cost of NVQs usually the price is determined by how much time you can expect from an assessor, so higher cost more assistance. This again can be checked and a reasonable programmes of work can be developed. Good providers will have no problem in supplying you with this information. Bear in mind that the current NVQ level 3 is only in Health and Safety not Practice and is designed for managers, supervisors etc. who have a responsibility for safety but not who are not practitioners. The minimum an aspiring practitioner should undertake is a level 4 in Health and Safety Practice.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2004 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Safety Solutions UK Ltd are an IOSH recognised NVQ Provider (I check with IOSH first) - Based in Dartford, Kent (And London I think). NVQ L4 - About £2750 + Vat inc. 5 Day underpinning knowledge enhancement by attendance at NEBOSH Diploma part 2 lectures, and up to 30 hours 1:1 guidance/assesment. I've gone with these people! Hope that helps, Chris
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2004 15:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston If your after IOSH membership, why not consider a Post Graduate Certificate with somewhere like Portsmouth Uni. Distance learning, about £2k and the qualification is more recognised. Shane.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall There are too many centres taking candidates on board with no APL that is relevant. It's a commercial world but it's not only un-ethical but commercial suicide in the long term. We have had candidates who have tried to convince us that their level of competence is alot higher than it actually was. The cost to us as a centre would be therefore greater - because there is then another task of trying to get people to a higher standard. We have "Well Joe Bloggs Centre says I'm up to this standard!" It's then difficult for that candidate who struggles to complete their portfolios.It's them who then don't get value for money.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Hmm.. I would say MIOSH (That's what you can get with an NVQ L4 - albeit through their standard criteria route etc, as per the joinging guidlines) is recognised wildly too ? isn't it ?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2004 19:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke Hi Please feel free to contact me direct regarding any info you want on the NVQ process. I can answer all Hazels questions directly. As it is stated, do find out the contact time and support you would get, and if you are charged per visit by your assessor, and if you have to do some theoretical assignments. (Not good where an NVQ is concerned). I do offer an NVQ bible which leads you through the evidence collection process, making things a lot simpler than reading the performance criteria. Linda
Admin  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2004 19:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Shields Martin, general facts and figures regarding the NVQ 4 we offer can be found on our website: http://www.sheilds.org/training/NVQ4OHSP.htm SHEilds Ltd. is committed to offering the most flexible and practical solutions to your learning and successful completion of your portfolio. Systems currently in place include – • NVQ eLearning and on-line progress tracking for use by both candidates and assessors • web downloads including unit sections, guides, glossaries, examples of acceptable evidence and the initial candidate information pack (the how to do it - guide) • discussion forums and bulletin boards for candidates • and FREE access to shepro.co.uk (the ultimate safety resource website) which has sources of information to cover all the domain knowledge requirements. To start potential candidates off on the right track, we have devised a 'competence analysis' tool, this gives an initial indication as to how much work may be required on your behalf, feedback is instantly given in a percentage format. For NVQ level 4 visit http://www.sheilds.org/s...ent/course/view.php?id=4 As this will be your first time here you will be asked to create an account (user name, password etc.) Please Note. This is only a taster website. The full eLearning section for enrolled candidates is within shepro.co.uk. Should you require any further information please contact our NVQ manager - Mike Watson on Tel: 01482 348353, Mobile: 07967 471208. Alternately email me directly, Regards and good luck with your professional development. Mike Shields
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2004 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Edwards Martyn I completed my NVQ Level 4 with the British Safety Council the cost three years ago was around £1,900. One of the reason for choosing the Safety Council was there record of successful applicants to MIOSH after completing the course, this was because they ensured that the course criteria was followed and they made it clear that you would have to work hard to get it unlike some other organisations. I hope this is of some help to you.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2004 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver Interesting response from Shane, I would have thought that qualifications and experience should go hand in hand. i have over 5 years expereince in H&S, 15yrs in construction and am a member of IOSH. however does that mean that someone just entering the proffesion with a post grad cert from portsmouth uni is a more competent practitioner than myself or others out there who have completed NVQ 4. NVQ 4 proves that you have the neccesary skils competence and experience to be able to attain this level of qualifiaction. although i am now studying for a degree, i feel i obtained more value from the NVQ 4 that i was able to utilise in my day to day activites than from 3 years of degree study (no i'm not studying for the wrong degree!). i also know a number of practitioners who have obtained senior managerial positions with NVQ 4. by the way i completed my NVQ with KT Associates for about £1750, very good value for money. if you require further details please e-mail me. thank you.