Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2004 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe Can anyone give me any advice about the requirement for lifeboat drills on board seagoing vessels, particularly with regard to the crew and the neccessity for actually entering a lifeboat before it is lowered and raised (a hazardous activity in itself). I'm sure there is something in SOLAS but I just wanted some brief comment initially. My particular query relates to a new ship before sea trials (i.e the lifeboat deploying/recovery equipment is new)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2004 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche Paul, generally drills should be held once a week and on arrival in the vessel after crew change. In the oil industry in the UKCS the vessel should have a safety case detailing drill frequency and lifeboat procedures. Lifeboats are genarally entered before lowering, especially in the case of enclosed lifeboats and gravity launched lifeboats,feel free to mail me off list if you require more details
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2004 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel P Try the "Robert Gordens Institute of Technology" [Aberdeen] - They do lots of training re the subject - I agree with the last comments "Safety Cases" indicate the controls etc re life-boat drill's etc for the off-shore industry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2004 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Agree with what John says above regarding frequency. When I was 3rd Mate with Shell we used to drop the lifeboats to deck level once a week, then when we were at anchor we would drop them to sea level and go for a spin (usually to go and visit other vessels!). By doing this, you will be sure that everything works ok. One of the problems we encountered occasionally was that when lowering the lifeboat, one of the wires would foul and cause the lifeboat to tip, so it is very important that the person on deck controlling the lowering keeps a careful watch as it is being lowered. Lifeboats are obviously used when abandoning ship but don't forget that life-rafts also have a part to play. I can't remember the servicing intervals, but as I seem to remember (from 20 years ago) there is an automatic release so that when the ship sinks, the life-rafts are automatically released. A hydrostatic release? Ah! Takes me back...... Regards Eric
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Paul et al. Step Change have recently published guidance on this subject entitled "Loading of Lifeboats During Drills" - it can be found in the publications section as a pdf. download at: http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm Contact Step Change for a bound colour version if desired.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 February 2004 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john o'meara Paul, Have you tried the IMO site? In Australia in recent years, more people have been killed or injured in lifeboat drills than in incidents of ships running aground. They seem to be quite a hazardous operation. There was a fatlity on a rig in Maine last month during a drill. The ATSB has a bulletin on drill safety:- http://www.atsb.gov.au/marine/sb/msb03.cfm J.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2004 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Board of Trade sports used to occur every Friday when not in port when I was with Shell. Boats were lowered to embarkation deck. However, the requirement was for the muster excercise to occur. There was an annual requirement for lifeboats to be lowered to, and retrieved from the water line. For a new ship, I would suggest that this will be tested as part of the commissioning and hand over. Free fall lifeboats have other requirements. Geoff, when were you with Shell, and which ships?