Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2004 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston If an employee gets something in his eye do you send them to hospital regardless of how they feel ? My previous employer operated this policy, however my curent employer doesn't. Recently (last week) and employee got something in his eye in an engineering workshop. He was seen by a first aider but said that he was OK. Next day his eye became sore and he went to hospital. He has now lost almost all vison in the eye and requires an operation (but this is being delayed due to a eye infection). Doctors are not sure if his eye sight will return. Can't help wondering if we should adopt a policy where all eye incidents require a hospital visit. What do you do ? Shane
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason We leave it to the first aider to decide (we are a very large diffuse organisation and it's very difficult to impose central "policies" on things like this.) However when I did first aid training we were told that all casualties with a foreign body in the eye should be sent to hospital.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2004 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The current first aid manual states that 'if the foreign body is sticking to or embedded in the eye, cover the affected eye with an eye pad and a bandage, then take or send the casualty to hospital'. Appointed first aiders should be following this practice.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2004 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Baynes I don't know about the rest of our organisation but we always recommend that anyone with an eye injury attends the local Accident and Emergency clinic - we provide a free taxi. They have all the expertise (hopefully) and equipment to find and remove foreign objects. The unaided eye just can't see some of them. There is the secondary advantage that, if the worst happens, we will be able to show we did all we could, though of course there is the question of how it happened in the first place!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2004 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Shane, Can't you see from the incident last week the obvious answer. You have a man who might loose his sight and you are still "thinking" about what to do! Your post serves a very good purpose though, anyone else out there dithering should now know the course of action to take.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2004 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I go along with what Diane has said: let the first aider make the decision. The first aider should be following the advice in the first aid manual, referred to by Ken. I'm not keen on adopting blanket rules.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2004 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Jack, In most cases I would agree with you entirely, regarding blanket rules. In the case of eye injuries, there is just too much at stake. First Aiders (and I've been one for 35 years) are not qualified to make these desisions. Whenever I've sent eye injuries to hospital, no matter how trivial the Doctor has alway perscribed antibiotic eye drops (just in case). This makes me suspect the even well qualified medics don't trust their judgement Anyway what happens to the poor old First aider if they make the wrong call? Personally (as a First Aider), I would be less worried about my liability (Acts & ommissions) and more concerned about my conscience.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2004 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Weatherill The policy in the college that I am Advisor for, and all the companies that I act as a Consultant for - is send the eye injured person to the local A & E and let the experts deal with it. The scene as described bears this out. Bryan Weatherill
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2004 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I tend to take the rule that - Eye Injury = HOSPITAL! Obviously it's a decision based on the "type" of accident - but if you use your eye-wash solution or other appropriate treatment, and there is still discomfort then - Hospital. Nuf said, Chris
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2004 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan No Question about it all foreign body in eye type injuries should be seen by a doctor in an A&E department. Even if the foreign body is removed at the time of the injury, small abrasions can be left on the cornea which are not visible to the naked eye. These can become infected and that is probably what happened in this case. Doctors use a local anaesthetic and fluoroscine drops in the eye to make any abrasion visible. In such cases treatment is invariably an eye patch to protect the eye and a course of antibiotic drops/cream.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2004 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Interesting. I started off thinking that it depends on what the object is, is it still in, let the first aider decide the severity. Having read the responses I've gone over to agreeing all accidents of this type should be an A&E case. Wouldn't it be a little dangerous to argue that the general run of the mill first aider is competent to decide something like this.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 26 January 2004 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I would still argue that 'foreign body in eye' covers a very wide range and for some it is reasonable for a first aider to decide not to recommend casualty goes to hospital. Would you advise a trip to Casualty for soap in the eye?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 26 January 2004 18:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt No probably not.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 26 January 2004 19:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt But I would be happy to take guidance on it - does anybody know what the St Johns or Red Cross First Aid notes say?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 26 January 2004 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Chemicals and such usually come with their own reccomendations on how to deal with contact with eyes. Rinse with copius ammounts of water for 15 minutes and if irritation continues seek medical attention immediatly. Its funny cos I think (and only think) that any chemical with severe burn risk always states to seek medical attention. (not positive on that). I would err of the side of safety by sending employees to hospital for any such contact that may have a resulting abbrasion etc. But remember a disgrunted workforce all claiming general dust has blown in their eyes especially so on a windy day. Have a stringent policy and always play the safer option. If it hasn't been blown in then it has been forced in, and that force could have done the damage whether the foreign body is there or not. And always still consider the wind as we all know this can happen and have damage.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 27 January 2004 07:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Don't disagree Jason. I would expect first aiders to err on side of caution but there will be occasions - possibly rare - when it is not appropriate to seek medical attention.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 27 January 2004 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Investigation has established that after getting the object in his eye, his reaction was to rub the eye which could have resulted in abrasions to his cornea. So even if an object just falls into the eye, and a first aider can wash it out, you can't be sure the surface of the eye is not damaged. The small abrasions increase the risk of an eye infection, and we believe this is the cause of the loss of vision (esp.as vision was lost two days after the incident). Having looked at the number of reported eye incidents over the past year, I have calculated that a two hour absence to attend hospital would cost us about £10k in lost production. Certainly reasonable for our organisation to prevent a this happening again. Shane.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 27 January 2004 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I think we are all in agreement Shane but that there may be some very simple cases (Jack mentioned soap) that could be safely left to the First Aiders discretion.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 27 January 2004 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Geoff, I have given the St. John/ Red Cross First-aid Manual text in my response above.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 27 January 2004 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Rowe there is another answer to all this - prevention, guarding, ppe etc.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 27 January 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd People can still get stuff in their eyes wearing PPE. I know of someone who got plastic swarf in their eye when it went up under their safety glasses. They were turning it on a lathe at the time. Also know of another chap wearing goggles and he got a spark in his eye from an angle grinder - they do sometimes get in through the little ventilation holes at the side of the goggles. Regards, Karen