Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2004 19:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Smith
I would be very interested in some discussion regarding how companies manage training issues, in particular the resourcing of training.

I carried out an analysis of all our works instructions last year and identified what training courses could reasonably be expected to arise from these instructions.

Now we are at the stage of presenting a paper to the senior management to persuade them to adequately resource training.

I don't need to convince them on the legal requirement, they know that training and risk assessment is cost effective in the long run.

However, I would like to hear how people generally organise training to release people to attend training.

We have a system of shift work with 15 teams, which involves 2 X 12 hour days and 2 X 12 hour nights with 6 rest days. Fitting in training becomes interesting to programme.

How do others organise training?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2004 21:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton
Jane,
If you visit www.matrixss.biz and view the pages on Training you may find some information that may be of help.
Identification of individual training needs is critical in achieving effective individual behavioural change through training. Forget 'buggins turn' and 'nice to know' courses as they are a waste of usually limited training resources.For shift workers consider using less conventional training delivery methods ie computer based delivery or monitored self learning which can be tailored to individual needs and be done during quiet periods.Amongst your more experienced staff you will have people capable of training others, use them, it will enhance their own job role too and limit the lost time factor in delivering training.
In my experience a bottom up approach is usually best in identifying skill gaps and training needs. The individual (and his immediate supervisor) know the limits of his competence and what his training needs are, not some manager possibly divorced from the shop floor!
Develop a Training Plan with a prioritised Budget and adopt and maintain a systematic approach to delivering it and updating it annually to meet changing business needs.
Good Luck!!
Robin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2004 00:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Wilf Archer
Getting people to attend training can be a nightmare. I came across similar problems and the only solution is to split up the training to suit the shifts and production duties.

I took supervisors for a few half day sessions and taught them to deliver Toolbox Talks. I would not recommend going down the Training of Trainers route unless you intend to use the supervisors to deliver their training in a classroom situation. Also you don’t need D32 D33 or D34 for toolbox talks. So ignore them.

Provide your supervisors with the toolbox talk materials i.e. the outline of their talk and try and use real equipment.

The toolbox talk can be delivered in 15 minute blocks once a week by the supervisor at the start of a shift. I have done a one day ever six months where the manager closed the Service and we arranged several twenty minute sessions to small groups (15). Then at the end of the twenty minutes they moved onto the next session. We called it a round robin. It has proved very popular with managers and the workforce. It wasn’t all health and safety either. There were trade unions delivering joint sessions on various issues and management explaining their forthcoming objectives. Each session ended with a questions from the delegates.

When it comes to delivering training to managers. You need to get them away from their phone and their desk. They should not be able to contact their office nor the office them. The training for managers should be split into morning sessions only (not full days). This allows them to get their daily control fix in the afternoon. Always give the manager homework but it needs to be part of their duties. Going over this in the first ½ hour of the session.

If you are using Computer Based Training then design your own using PowerPoint or commission someone to do it for you to make sure it is related to your business. If using video then again do your own. I know that the quality will not be as professional but the impact of recognising unsafe systems etc is greater. If this is not possible then talk with the multi-media section of your local college and put up a prize for the best training video. All you do is give them the remit and award the prizes. Good publicity for you and good training for the students.

Be prepared to start early in the mornings.

Whatever solution you choose make sure that your training meets the recipients needs and can be immediately applied to the workplace.

There are many good training providers and if you are using them to deliver some of your training them remember that it is you who is paying the piper so it is you who calls the tune. Knowing what you want is paramount to any training provision.

In short :
Keep the workforce as close to their workplace as possible and Keep managers away from theirs.
Keep the workforce sessions to 15-20 minutes, Managers to 2-3 hours maximum.

Anyway the above works for me.

Wilf