Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2004 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie A friend has asked me to carry out a Risk Assessment for the drivers at a road haulage firm. As this is not my area of expertise I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers. Thanks Andy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie A second point too. Do CB radios come under the new 'driving & mobiles' laws?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2004 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Yes! Don't do things that aren't within your area of expertise! Even for friends. People will be relying on what you do, and will happily ignore any provisos you insert. On this topic there's a lot of HSE info, by the way. Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2004 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt On your second point, the answer is no. Allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie You have taken my 'not in my area of expertise' comment in the wrong context. It is something I have done in the (not too distant) past and something I feel more than capable of doing. I was simply after some pointers to save my time researching issues.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2004 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Oh. Sorry about that, though re-reading your post it still looks like i originally thought. Must be me, then :-)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello Andy, I have listed a few here: Slips, trips, falls - getting in and out of lorry, climbing up and down from trailer, etc. Dangerous goods? Security/stability of load. Moving vehicles - other lorries and forklift trucks at premises, other vehicles whilst at side of road. Hi-jacking - drivers on the continent have been gassed unconscious then robbed. Whole body vibration. Manual handling. Some places that drivers deliver to try to chance their arm and tell the driver to take the forklift and unload themselves. Do not allow this. Remember also that lorry drivers are more likely to suffer from back pain, strokes, heart attacks and can get very unfit and overweight indeed due to their poor diet and lack of exercise! They also have a lack of decent toilet and shower facilities and the limited choice of unhealthy food at services (burgers, sausage rolls) is a rip off! As Allan has said, there is guidance available from HSE. The Department of Transport has a publication called Safety of Loads on Vehicles. The Road Haulage association has useful stuff like drivers daily lorry inspection sheets, etc. I have e-mailed you some stuff direct. Regards, Karen Todd
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stephen j mills Andy, The HSE recently produced a leaflet (INDG379) relating to Health and Safety in Road Haulage. It gives general information on managing health and safety, steps to turn theories into practice, gives a helpful checklist and further reading to assist. Single copies can be obtained free from HSE Books, or you may be able to get one from your local Environmental Health department. Regards, Steve.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott A few other things to consider. PPE - Where necessary (Such as cold weather condition suit, gloves, etc) Smoking at work Young Persons - if they accompany the driver Mobile Phone Use Stress - which accommodates; Breaks (Sleeping/resting) Working Times These things could cause a lack of concentrations, leading to an accident or near miss. Oh… and further driver training Regards Chris