Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#41 Posted : 28 January 2004 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Agree with everything you've said Ralph. I hadn't realised before this debate how much difference there is between the interpretations of the PS role. You're nearly right about my background except that like yourself I also act as advisor for clients who have commissioned building work, as well as PS on other projects. One comment was about agents. The majority of our PS activities are through an agent for the various clients. We are commissioned by the agent as PS. It should be noted the agents usually have no H&S skills, we provide these. We issue the pre-tender H&S Plan and approve the contractors response (usually after a number of negotiations). These findings are passed onto the client via the agent. On one occasion we have reported the prospective contractors H&S consultants to IOSH for misrepresentation of their professional status. On two other occasions the prospective contractors have withdrawn their tenders following our intervention, and resubmitted greatly improved plans - both took on retained professional safety advisors to assist them. I see that as a success for safety and helps justify (to an extent) CDM. On the subject of the role of advisor to a client commissioning building work you are entitled in that position to see if the work is being carried out safely - CDM is irrelevant to this. I remember attending CDM training some years ago - for the PS role. I was the only safety professional on the course, the rest were QS or architects. I'd thought some of them were joking when they indicated they had not heard of the HS&W Act. It was apparent during the course that the whole thing was new to some of them. Unfortunately, what's come across in this debate is demarcation lines, talk about inflexible attitudes, quoting the law and a number of generally pedantic statements. No real attempt has been made to answer questions put by contributors. What we should be talking about is how we can resolve these issues - surely we are all aiming for the same thing. Geoff
Admin  
#42 Posted : 28 January 2004 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The various PSs that we have used have generally operated in the way that Geoff describes and have consulted me, as the Client's H&S Officer, on the content of Pre-Tender Plans and the PCs Construction Phase Plans before formally advising, as required, upon their adequacy. As the Client, we know where our best interest lies in protecting the health and safety of our employees, clients, residents, school pupils, visitors and passing members of the public from construction work on our premises. Simply handing over to the PC after awarding the contract may work OK for totally ring-fenced and green-field sites but not in our situations.
Admin  
#43 Posted : 28 January 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ken Perhaps you have highlighted why we have such diverse opinions on this thread. All of my projects have been construction work that cannot be fully separated from the client activities (a number of them are schools!). I have to work closely with the client to ensure we have caught all the issues. Which means looking at risk assessments, method statements, access arrangements, the affect on the local roads and so on. However, with a greenfield site, I would still insist on seeing if adequate procedures and provisions were in place. 'Adequate' seems, at least on this thread, to be the controversial word. But as I've asked before perhaps someone could answer how this is done without the PS seeing the contractor provisions for dealing with the risks? Geoff
Admin  
#44 Posted : 28 January 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I agree with Geoff thaat we are beginning to circle around here.From my point of view this thread was concerned with whether the PS could insist on specific risk assessments for work element(s) which will appear in the project in order to assess whether the plan was adequate, and by default whether the PC was competent. When PSs produce enough information in a pre-tender plan to make a requested detail response at tender I will do just that. But the construction phase plan is post tender and I fail to see where the need for the PS to vet MSs and RAs has arisen. It is no purpose advising the client post contract. The early site start CP will be a limited document as far as specific activities are concerned, it may well identify the significant risks of the work in general terms, and it will detail many management based system items. It does not have to include my subcontractor assessment process - which is located elsewhere in the systems, as are the checklists, permits, forms, procedures, flowcharts,monitoring forms etc etc. Why should I waste a rainforest of paper to do this just to satisfy the PS who says I need to know that you are doing this and I check this by seeing copies of your paperwork in the plan. The HSE recently stated that if the operation of CDM produces volumes of paper then it has been misunderstood and misapplied. I have third party audits on the whole of my systems every six months - if I don't ensure the system works I loose certuification and my MD will want to know why. Can we please have an end to these PSs who believe that the CP plan is a competence assessment opportunity. Bob
Admin  
#45 Posted : 28 January 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hi again Iv'e been following this thread and seem to be more comfortable with Geoffs explanation or viewpoint of how the proccess should work. The client has the right to be kept informed of any circumstances that may put peoples lives at risk. The PS is usually chosen as a middle man. Then surely he has the right to check all piles (as you put it) of paperwork. When I Asked the questions I posted earlier about this turning into a quality issue. The comments posted afterwards seem to strenghen my beleief that this indeed is turning into a quality of documentation and presentation issue. Any contractor must surely have to re-assess the way they wish to satisfy the client, PS etc. This will unfortuantly probably mean that they have to develop a system (does not nessassarily mean paperbased) where he can show he can produce both site specific and generic assessments after any request for them has been made. Obvously the ins and outs of this procedure needs a lot of disscussion. But this could well be the intention of CDM. Who Knows but personally I think this is a last minute wake up call for the rouge contractors. Just a laymans point of view. Regards jason
Admin  
#46 Posted : 28 January 2004 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Jason I assess the information the client needs and ensure the system produces it.. I am not going to write a new system for each client - I will provide however a navigation document so that it can be located and the procedures etc are clearly identified - but I still argue that too many PSs are using the CP H&S plan as a further stick and hurdle to be jumped. The ACOP is pretty clear to me that only the immediate specific assessments should be in place - the remainder of SIGNIFICANT risks need to be identified together with the general arrangements for managing the risk, note it is not ALL risks that are required by the ACOP at this stage of site start. I could spend an additional day per week for proactive management if I was not writing superfluous paperwork Bob
Admin  
#47 Posted : 28 January 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Smith it is only possible to actually do a true risk assessment (specific) when an actual change of the working environment is imminent or is likely to be relating to one area or a particular designated area for the risk assessment to be meaningful. if say new installations require only certain personell to be allowed entry for that area, then a permit to work is required, if this type of situation is unlikely to occur for some time, then why do a thorough (specific) risk assessment, when only a generic assessment would be suffice for the period between. an ideal situation to carry out an updated risk assessment would be the day prior to the changes actually happening, then existing hazards would have been covered by the generic assessment, and the updated assessment would then emphasise the new apparent changes to the immediate area/s, it would be impossible and certainly wouldnt be cost effective to any company to administer all necessary changes immediatley when the changes could be months away from fruition. most construction sites as you say change from one minute to another, these small changes should be added daily along with their individual regulations or code of practices to that particular task through tool box talks for example. any new risks that could cause potential serious harm would therfore have to be re-assessed into a specific risk assessment before actual changes take place and include all changes of the surounding environment. this is what i would have to entail whilst siteing a crane in a particular area, for a specific task, and the assessment would be inforce until we had finnished the agreed task, as implimented in a submitted method statement,then the client would now then be able to carry out their own risk assessment if it meant any significant changes to working conditions, and what would be required. in my eyes, specific relates to individual pieces,areas or zones generic means broadbased low hazard and basic site rules apply in similar environments, a widely used term in many industries applying to their personal knowledge of what is, or what can