Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2004 19:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hickey Just wondering about the views of other forum users? I have recently had a debate with a planning supervisor about our health and safety plan. He told me that he wanted specific risk assessments for the project and not generic. My idea of a specific risk assessment is one that is done at the time of the operation. Taking into consideration all of the significant hazards, on the day so to speak. How can we possibly predict what hazards will be there until the operation is actually happening? Construction sites are a ever changing environment from minute to minute, hour to hour and day to day. When producing a health and safety plan for the planning supervisor to pass before work can start in say 3 weeks time, surly generic risk assessments are all we can do to a certain extent. We can visit the area were the project is to take place and take a snapshot of what is there, but can only assume what hazards will be present on the day. There are so many variations affecting the real situation. I am alone in my thinking please help? Regards Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2004 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton My understanding of the Planning Supervisor duties does not include the specification of Risk Assessment for the Construction Phase Plan, he is out of order. The info below is courtesy of Grove Services website at www.groveservices.co.uk Common misunderstandings about Construction (Design and Management) Regulations are: - That the planning supervisor is: - § Responsible for management or monitoring of H & S during construction. § Responsible for all H & S issues on and off site for a project. § Responsible alone for hazard identification and / or preparation of design risk management information. § Responsible for the provision of all CDM related H & S information required for the pre-construction H & S plan. § Responsible for all H & S aspects of the design including the function and operation of the structure and components. § Required to complete site safety inspections and safety checks. § Required to review all the principal contractors risk assessments, method statement and COSHH assessments. The above are not planning supervision responsibilities. The planning supervisors’ main duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations are summarised below. § To notify the HSE § Ensure co-operation between designers. § Ensure that pre-construction H & S plan is prepared with appropriate content. § Ensure that designers give attention to risk management in designs. § Ensure that an H & S file is prepared and delivered to the client – however, it must be established who prepares the H & S file for the client. Services that the planning supervisor is required to provide if asked. § Advise on competence of designers § Advise on competence on contractors. § Prepare the pre-construction H & S plan. § Advise on readiness of the construction phase plan § Compile the file. H & S = health and safety. I hope this helps Robin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2004 21:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Steve, From your original message I assume that the PS is reviewing the initial contruction phase H&S plan. Risk assessments submitted should be specific for the task and environment that exists on site. However, the initial plan would normally only contain detailed assessments for the first phase of the works (4-6 weeks). It should also detail how risk assessments for the subsequent works will be obtained and assessed by the Principal Contractor. As the previous respondant indicated once work starts (the initial plan has been accepted as satisfactory) there is no requirement for the Planning Supervisor to see/ vet contruction risk assessments. (Unless of course he also has some other role in the process e.g. clients agent/representative)
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2004 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Steve I totally agree with Martyn's comments and feel that providing the client has asked for the PS to advise him on the suitability of the initial construction phase plan, the PS has every right to request site specific risk assessments. Such specific assessments may however only be requested for key (high risk) activities such demolition works, asbestos removal, deep excavations, disconnection of services and working at height etc, together with other relevant issues such as site set-up, traffic management, liaising with other contractors/the client and how site safety etc will be managed (ie: future method statements, induction training etc etc). Hope ths helps Oliver
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2004 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Having undertaken the PS Role on several large projects I must disagree with the last two correspondent. There is no requirement to provide Risk Assessment for a pre-tender H&S Plan. The whole rationale behind the procedure is for the PS to indentfy the project major hazards and advise the Client that the appointed Principal Contractor has the competence to deal with them.Plan content should be, SECTION 1 NATURE OF THE PROJECT SECTION 2: THE EXSTING ENVIRONMENT SECTION 3: PROJECT MAJOR HAZARDS SECTION 4: SITE FACILITIES SECTION 5: GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE SECTION 6: INTERFACE ARRANGEMENTS SECTION 7: NOTIFICATION OF PROJECT Once the Principal Contractor is appointed it is HIS responsibility to manage the construction phase and prepare the construction phase plan. The PS has NO role in this unless he is wearing another client appointed hat!,except for monioring design changes for risk aversion and collating information for the File. Filling up the pre-tender Plan with unnecessary risk assessments and other clutter is in my opinion an indication that the appointed PS is almost incompetent because he does'nt understand his own duties. During the Construction Phase specific RA and method statements should be prepared for the risk environment presented as work progresses and they should be recorded in the Constuction Plan files.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2004 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Steve Robin is correct in saying: 'Once the Principal Contractor is appointed it is HIS responsibility to manage the construction phase and prepare the construction phase plan'. However, what Robin has failed to note is that the contractor is not permitted to commence site operations until the client [who is usually advised by the PS - Reg. 14c(ii)] is satisfied that a suitable and sufficient Construction phase plan is in place (Reg. 10). With regards to the content of the Construction Phase Plan, I would recommend you review the contents of Appendix 3 and paragraphs 240 -243 of the CDM ACOP (HSG224). Para 241 of the ACOP cleary states: 'The plan also needs to incorporate, or refer to, any required method statements, safety rules and monitoring arangements'. Whilst I am not advocating that methods statements should be produced for each and every task before the Plan is approved by the client, I would normally require copies of site specific method statements for the HIGH RISK activities, as outlined in my previous response. I certainly did not (nor in my opinion did Martyn) indicate that the HS Plan should be filled up with unecessary risk assessments or other clutter, however I would never advise a client to allow a contractor to proceed with the construction phase until I was assured that the Key risks and hazards have been given appropriate consideration! This does not mean, as stated in the ACOP, that the method statements have to be contained within the H&S Plan, but simply that they are in place. The other factor you may need to consider is the contractual implications, does the contract require certain information etc to be in place at certain times? Best regards Oliver
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2004 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hickey Thank you for your replies so far, my question about specifc risk assessments is can they be done 3 to 4 weeks before a operation takes place. for Instance how do know the environment were things will take place will not change i.e. weather, ground conditions and other hazards present on the day. Surely we can only be generic and assume the hazards that will be in place.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2004 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Steve Yes method statements can be prepared 3-4 weeks before an operation takes place, however, things can still change during this period and the MS may need to be reviewed/revised accordingly. Oliver
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2004 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Steve Have a lot of sympathy with you here as I have met the PSs who effectively go through a contractor assessment process as they "approve a plan for construction" even to the extent of wanting copies of procedures to show they exist. Bear in mind that we have third party independently audited management systems. Even with major heads of risk everything is relatively provisional until the task becomes imminent. Try giving more than general risk assessments etc for working near atrium edges 12 months ahead. It is a painful operation likened by many of my managers to extracting teeth from a concious alligator. The hope I suppose is that the promised CDM amendments will bite the bullet and move the task to the lead designer as has been mooted in some quarters. We may then move away from the perpetual paperchase that is happening. Bob
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Bob, I agree with you and hope that the powers that be revise Regs along such lines.The whole process has been to some extent highjacked by PS's who through ignorance or fee inflation take on roles and duties that are not defined in the current Regs or ACOP taking advantage of Clients who know no better. I have been involved with the Regs since they were first became operable and worst failing of Clients is not appointing a competent PS at the start of the Design process! 2 weeks or days before construction work starts is the usual scenario. Robin
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2004 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt There may be some confusion in the use of the words generic and specific. Many contractors put up assessments that are exactly the same for all sites and all projects - generic assessments. Others alter just the date and site name on the top and call them specific. But they are still generic. What I assume your PS is after is risk assessments specific to the site and particular activities that will be undertaken. These can be prepared in advance (as can the method statements and other documentation) but they need to be revised/adjusted as the job progresses, snags encountered, conditions change and so on. As a PS on a number of projects I would expect to be involved at the design stage (if notified soon enough), I would expect to see the initial site specific risk assessments and I would expect to see method statements of how the work is to be carried out - all of these would be in the proposed construction phase H&S Plan. It is the PS responsibility to advise the client on the suitability of the H&S Plan submitted by the PC. Personally I don't see how that responsibility can be met without seeing and evaluating this documentation.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 January 2004 19:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton It is surely the Clients responsibility to ensure that the Construction Phase Plan is 'as far as reasonably practicable' ready before the construction phase begins. The Client may seek advice from other professional persons including the appointed PS but the responsibility is not that of the PS. See Reg 10. Under Reg 14 the PS should be in a position to give adeqate advice to the client if so requested. The operative words are 'adequate advice' and not specification or direction of what the competent Principal Contractor must have in his construction phase plan.The PC is responsible for management of health and safety during the construction phase and he has been assessed as being competent and adequately resourced to undertake the work already under Reg 6
Admin  
#13 Posted : 23 January 2004 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Robin, You are correct regarding where the legal duties lie. However, in practice the client (especially a client with limited construction knowledge) will, request the Planning Supervisors advice regarding the acceptability of the initial construction phase plan and act on his recommendation. In other works the PS checks the inital construction phase H&S plan.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 23 January 2004 20:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton I see you use the word 'checks'. He should not dictate or specify the contents which is what the PS at the head of this discussion was attempting to do! I agree that in most practical situation the Client will rely on the PS to vett the initial construction phase plan but it is NOT the PS's responsibility as most assume it is!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 23 January 2004 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Robin, I'll repeat my last statement. 'It is the PS responsibility to advise the client on the suitability of the pre construction H&S Plan submitted by the PC.' I'm having some difficulty in understanding your point. If a PS advises a client they don't think the plan is suitable because of the lack of adequate risk assessments, or whatever, then they are in effect dictating the contents - surely. In practice the PS goes back to the favoured PC and requests the missing information - I have never known a case where the PS & PC have not been able to resolve the issue at this stage.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 24 January 2004 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton My point is that if the competent PC's Plan is seriously deficient then surely the PS or other professional adviser should recommend to the Client to question the competency of the PC to undertake the work!!!!Construction is a fast moving activity and a plan that is correct today is most likely incorrect tomorrow as the risk environment rapidly changes. Any Plan is only a management tool and in my experience the KISS principle should be followed or else it sits on a shelf gathering dust. There is another issue that most PS's lose sight of and that is the one of the limits of their Professional Indemnity Insurance.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 24 January 2004 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Or work with the PC to bring his arrangements up to scratch and to help him improve his competencies. I've always find it better to have a 'can do' attitude, rather than the other way round. Where does PII come into the discussion?
Admin  
#18 Posted : 24 January 2004 18:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie It is not a case of the PS taking any responsibility for the risk assessments adequacy. (He does not approve them, even the RA's for the initial construction activites which I would expect to be in the initial plan) Rather he (on the client's behalf) is looking to ensure that the Principal contractor's plan is suitable developed to allow the works to be started safely. In other words that the general arrangements for compliance with legal requirements have been put into place by the PC. That would include ensuring that suitable RA's are in place for the initial works. If the risk assessments identify and deal appropriately with the hazards that can be identified before the project construction starts then (all other things being equal) work should be allowed to start. If, once construction starts, something changes before a particular task begins it is for the contractor and PC to ensure that the risk assessment is revised.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 24 January 2004 21:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I represent the Client on a number of CDM projects and we require our Planning Supervisors to act as Geoff Burt describes. The Health and Safety Plan is to be seen as a developing document but must start with planning how the job is to be carried out safely - which must entail potential risk identification, asessment and control planning. Whilst generic assessments may be acceptable for commonly-practised/ standard construction tasks, the Plan and included risk control measures must be project-specific in as much as some hazards may be peculiar to the project - eg work in common areas, interaction with Client's ongoing work activities, etc. A bunch of only off-the-shelf generic assessments would not satisfy us that the Principal Contractor had given sufficient consideration to planning for safety and I would expect our PSs to respond in the sort of way that the originator of this thread has described.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 25 January 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Robin In an earlier posting on this thread you wrote: 'Filling up the pre-tender Plan with unnecessary risk assessments and other clutter is in my opinion an indication that the appointed PS is almost incompetent because he does'nt (sic) understand his own duties.' Could you elaborate for me - especially the latter part of the statement about incompetency? it seems to be a sweeeping generalisation that I would like you to back up. Geoff
Admin  
#21 Posted : 25 January 2004 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton This comment was based on pre-tender plans that I have seen that were based on 'quantity rather than quality' and often failed to meet the criteria laid out in CDM ACOP.As the guidance given on the qualifications/experience for PS's is open to wide interpretation quite often the individual/organisation that undertake the role have very little health and safety knowledge/experience and this is reflected in the plans they produce.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 25 January 2004 19:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Well you've seen my views on what should be included - which would be risk assessments approved by the PS. And even perhaps other clutter you wouldn't agree with. So in your opinion then .....
Admin  
#23 Posted : 25 January 2004 20:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hickey My way of doing a specific risk assessment would be to visit the area and look at the what risks are present and deal with them! But for say a demolition, some hazards are generic i.e. Lack of planning Risk of premature collapse Undermining of adjacent structure Underground / Overhead services Until the day you are dealing with them and then you may / will find other hazards are present. So how can this be specific, as one person said on this thread just putting the name of the project at the top of the assessment does not make it a specific assessment? Maybe one of the contributors to the thread could let me have a look at one of their construction phase Health & safety Plans so I can see what is expected. By the way I also had to sit and explain to the Planning supervisor that I had the debate with the “construction health,safety and welfare” reg’s which I found most disturbing
Admin  
#24 Posted : 25 January 2004 20:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Geoff, I think we will have to agree to 'disagree'about what goes in the pre-tender plan. I personally see no need for risk assessment or statement of method. The PS has to identify the HAZARDS that are presented by the nature of the proposed project and the likely arrangements required for the management of Health and Safety. The PC must demonstrate that he has the competence and resources to effectively manage the construction phase dealing with the intial HAZARDS identified in the PTPlan and the HAZARDS that are generated by the construction work. As the Client has appointed (usually through a rigorous selection procedure)a PC who has in being management systems to control risks, and usually access to Competent Health and Saftey Advice either internally or externally he will meet his responsibility to develop a Construction Phase Plan that meets his Statutory Obligations. What goes in that Plan is the PC's responsibility, no one elses!!!He may well liaise with the PS to seek clarification on issues raised in the PTPlan but the degree to which he includes intial risk assessments and/or method statements is a matter for his judgement. He has to control the Hazards not the PS. He has to satisfy the Client that his Plan is suitable and sufficient not the PS.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 26 January 2004 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis If we get back to the initial intent of the legislation and acop - which is to say that the plan must be suitable and sufficient to commence the construction section of the project. This in practice poses the question of what work forms the commencement. I could therefore contend that the only thing that the PS needs to see is the plan for the site set up and possibly ground clearance with a machine and a visiting spoil wagon and perhaps even less than this on some works. The project has commenced and this is all that is required - forget about working at height, use of scaffold etc. If the PC is selected he is deeemed competent unless the client of course wishes to plead nocent to using an incompetent contractor. Bob
Admin  
#26 Posted : 26 January 2004 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Bob If you are saying the PS is generally superfluous to a project I wouldn't have any problems with that at all. My argument is that with the current setup - under CDM the PS has responsibilies that are clearly laid out in law. One of those is to advise the client if requested - and it is generally what happens in practice. To be able to advise postitively the H&S plan must contain what is, in the PS's opinion, relevant information. How do you do this without being shown the method of how the work is to be done or how the PC will tackle the associated risks? Geoff
Admin  
#27 Posted : 26 January 2004 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hi Folks This is turning out to be very interesting. I have no experience with CDM so please forgive the naivety of the following comments or questions. How is a planning supervisor to satisfy himself and the client about these assessments, plans etc, especially so when working with smaller PCs who may use third party safety consultants. Will a smaller PC stop work and call someone out every time a new more dynamic or specific assessment is required? (does not seem economically viable) The original posting points out that generic assessments are the only thing that can be put forward at the initial construction phase unless there are site specific considerations already Identified by the client or PS. Is this all leading to a quality systems Issue where a PCs are going to have to prove that they have systems in place to deal with site specific risk (with minimum distruption) and PSs are more and more demanding of this proof? Best practice may dictate this is the way to go but common practice may not. What does the law say and is it right?. Is this a wake up call to the smaller PCs to re-condider their own safety systems and has it been designed this way? Just curious Jason
Admin  
#28 Posted : 26 January 2004 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Actually Jason, it's a series of intelligent considered questions. Unfortunately I wouldn't think of attempting to answer them on this forum. You can see the controversy generated by just one aspect of CDM. I'll leave the answers to someone braver than me!
Admin  
#29 Posted : 26 January 2004 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Unlike you Geoff! The whole rationale behind the Construction (Design & Management) Regs is to improve (a) the design of structures so that risks involved in construction, use, ongoing maintenance and demoliton of them are reduced or eliminated where possible and (b) to improve the management of health, safety and welfare through the construction, occupation and eventual demolition of the structure. The Partys involved in implementing the regs have to demonstrate their competence to undertake the roles specified. ie planning supervisor, principal contractor, contractor etc. My contention is that once this competence has been demonstrated and the party appointed then specific management responsibilites are held and there is a clear demarcation between the stages of the tender process and the construction phase. There may well be quality issues relating to the appointment of for example the Principal Contractor but once the Client has appointed him he is surely deemed to be competent. Some in this discussion beleive that the PS has a role in dictating what must be in the Construction Phase Plan in terms of risk assessments and method statements for without such documents how can they judge the efficacy of the Plan. How far down this road do they want to go? The PC could provide a specific risk assessment for say site excavation based on his current knowledge of the site. Come the day such work begins site conditions may have changed so radically that the original assessment is almost meaningless. For example its rained constantly for 3 weeks, the ground make up is totally different due to voids, ground water, unknown contamination, buried structures etc etc. So why require it??? Surely the important thing is that the PC demonstrates in his plan that he has the Management expertise and resources to assess the risks at the relevant moment and can implement the required control measures to satisfactorily control the risks. It must be the PC's judgement as to what is relevant in terms of initial content that demonstrates he is competent to control the HAZARDS identified by the PS in the pre-tender plan and the intial HAZARDS introduced by his construction activity. For a professional advisor to Client eg the PS to go down the future construction road crystal ball gazing on behalf of a competent PC gives me professional judders.
Admin  
#30 Posted : 26 January 2004 20:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Robin Forgive me for copying your response in its entirety but it allows me to respond at the right points - it was a rather a long missive! 1. The whole rationale behind the Construction (Design & Management) Regs is to improve (a) the design of structures so that risks involved in construction, use, ongoing maintenance and demoliton of them are reduced or eliminated where possible and (b) to improve the management of health, safety and welfare through the construction, occupation and eventual demolition of the structure. The Partys involved in implementing the regs have to demonstrate their competence to undertake the roles specified. ie planning supervisor, principal contractor, contractor etc. Yup, OK so far. 2. My contention is that once this competence has been demonstrated and the party appointed then specific management responsibilites are held and there is a clear demarcation between the stages of the tender process and the construction phase. Not a contention - this is fact. 3. There may well be quality issues relating to the appointment of for example the Principal Contractor but once the Client has appointed him he is surely deemed to be competent. Part of the judgement by the client is based on, or should be based on, input from other parties. One of these is the PS. There are not many clients who are au fait with construction and the legal requirements. 4. Some in this discussion beleive that the PS has a role in dictating what must be in the Construction Phase Plan in terms of risk assessments and method statements for without such documents how can they judge the efficacy of the Plan. That's me! 5. How far down this road do they want to go? The PC could provide a specific risk assessment for say site excavation based on his current knowledge of the site. Come the day such work begins site conditions may have changed so radically that the original assessment is almost meaningless. Agree it may be. But the basis is there and the idea is that the H&S Plan is a live document which will be amended as the project progresses. This has been mentioned several times already by myself and other contributors. 6. For example its rained constantly for 3 weeks, the ground make up is totally different due to voids, ground water, unknown contamination, buried structures etc etc. So why require it??? S The idea is that the PS raises the possibility of issues like contamination, buried structures, buried services at the pre-tender H&S plan stage. The PS then ensures the PC has made adequate provision for dealing with them. 7. Surely the important thing is that the PC demonstrates in his plan that he has the Management expertise and resources to assess the risks at the relevant moment and can implement the required control measures to satisfactorily control the risks. Please demonstrate how this is done without some indication of how the risks will be dealt with. 8. It must be the PC's judgement as to what is relevant in terms of initial content that demonstrates he is competent to control the HAZARDS identified by the PS in the pre-tender plan and the intial HAZARDS introduced by his construction activity. No problem with this - as long as the PS is happy they have been dealt with - usually by the provision of risk assessments and method statements. 9. For a professional advisor to Client eg the PS to go down the future construction road crystal ball gazing on behalf of a competent PC gives me professional judders. Nothing to do with crystal balls - it is a good sense approach to see what is currently in place, if it is adequate, and how easily it can be adapted to suit the changing conditions. This will depend on the expertise of the contractor amongst other things and this will be reflected in the quality of the initial paperwork, and the contractors attitude in responding to reasonable comments and recommentations about the content. Phew!
Admin  
#31 Posted : 27 January 2004 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Geoff If the assessment of a contractor as suitable to act as PC has been done properly, which I must assume it was, the PS has NO role in identifying if the PC has the methods, systems and means of addressing the risks of the work. Yes if there are specific hazards which you wish to hi-lite to me then I will respond with the broad intention of how the risk is to be managed but it will not address any minutiae other than which is provided to me by the PS. If I receive a type 3 survey, which has so many codicils and exclusions and no statement of exactly where they have looked in detail then I will reply to a method request on the basis of the limited information I am given. I often have far less from the PS - merely a statement that asbestos may be preesent and can I provide a MS for dealing with the asbestos - this will be generic in response If I seem a trifle aggravated I apologise, but I do feel that the hurdles being placed by some PSs are tantamount to a re-run of what may well have been an intensive assessment period at the tender stage. I am amazed sometimes when a PS asks for copies of such as our contractor assessment systems when these, to name but one example, were pre-assessed - this after a two month period of interview and audit by the client. The responses when questioned suggests that many are unaware of this earlier selection process. Let us get back to the original purpose which was to assure the client that the contractor had a plan which would deal with the initial phases of work. All PCs cross many assault courses to get work and the repetition of these serves only to deflect attention and time from managing safety at the coal-face Perhaps this thread now needs to go closed forum? Bob
Admin  
#32 Posted : 27 January 2004 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Bob There is a danger of going round in circles here but lets try another approach. Clients come in all shapes and sizes. Most (I do mean most) of them do not have the resources. knowledge and facilities to vet contractors - they recognise they do not have the competencies within the company and they rely on advice from outside sources. Part of the aim of CDM was to introduce a new role of PS to fill this void. The PS role is to advise the client on the suitability of the pre-tender plan with the aim of 'assisting' the client in choosing which contractor to use ie part of the vetting process. There is no way, in my opinion, a PS can approve a plan if the relevant information is not included. Wouldn't that be tantamount to negligence? It may be that the companies you deal with are set up to deal with construction and building companies in general but you have to recognise that many are not. Geoff
Admin  
#33 Posted : 27 January 2004 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton You wrote, The PS role is to advise the client on the suitability of the pre-tender plan with the aim of 'assisting' the client in choosing which contractor to use ie part of the vetting process. Surely the PS writes the Pre Tender Plan!!!!
Admin  
#34 Posted : 27 January 2004 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Geoff We are not talking about the pre-tender plan but the initial construction phase H&S plan. The vetting process is not a problem until I have to repeat it for a PS who is unaware for whatever reason of the competency checks by the client. The guiding reg is obviously 15 in CDM The planning supervisor is reequired to provide the matters specified in para 3 including (d) "any other information whicch the PS knows or could ascertain by making reasonable enquiries, and which it would be necessary for any contractor to have if he wished to show i) that he has competence on which any person is requiredd to be reasonably satisfied by reg 8 ii) That he has allocated or, as appropriate, will allocate adequate resources on which any person is required to be reasonably satisfied by reg 9" These relate to a person who arranges a contractor to do work. This does not mean that the PS can ask here for proof of competence - It is for her/him to provide information to allow proof of competence in the tendering process. 15(4) refers to PC the detail here talks of arrangements and information not even specific method statements. If PSs provided better quality pre-tender plans there would be better quality Construction plans. I am afraid that PSs have become so fixed in their ideas of what makes a construction plan that they are often difficult to change. Bob
Admin  
#35 Posted : 27 January 2004 12:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton You also wrote Clients come in all shapes and sizes. Most (I do mean most) of them do not have the resources. knowledge and facilities to vet contractors - they recognise they do not have the competencies within the company and they rely on advice from outside sources. Part of the aim of CDM was to introduce a new role of PS to fill this void. I disagree! If the Client has not got the resources etc to undertake his role then he should be appointing an Agent under Reg 4 to act on his behalf. The agent then appoints the PS , PC etc. The principal idea behind the PS role is to ensure (a) that designers comply with Reg 13 (b)to oversee the management planning upto the start of the construction phase and (c) to ensure that the file is completed at the end of the project.
Admin  
#36 Posted : 27 January 2004 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor - and what if the initial Construction Phase Plan shows little resemblance to the Pre-Tender Plan and ignores important H&S issues relating to risks to the Client's operations during construction? I expect our PSs to advise us on the adequacy of the PC's Plan for doing the work safely - which must address significant hazards and how they are to be controlled.
Admin  
#37 Posted : 27 January 2004 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Another important consideration, particularly when dealing with large projects and large Contracting organisations, is that although extensive checks and reviews are carried out prior to their inclusion on the tender list, any assessment will be partly based on the assurances and performance which the head office directors and senior managers, whose sole aim is to win the contract, state (during the interviews) will be provided. However, once the contract is awarded any old site team (within the limitations of the contract) may potentially be brought in to run the project without any previous knowledge of the project. Hence the need for this second layer of checks before the commencement of site works. The way a site is run and managed will generally reflect on not only the contractor, but also on the client and design teams. Therefore if the client requires a well managed and safely run site (as ours generally do) it is essential that the project is started off on a positive footing, and one of the key mechanisms the client has in this respect is the approval of the Construction Phase H&S Plan. (The exact requirements for which should be clearly specified in the Pre Tender Plan or elsewhere in the tender doc's) In my opinion having a comprehensive, practical and functional, site specific Construction Phase H&S Plan is as important as ensuring the correct plant and materials have been ordered! Done correctly, the H&S Plan is a key management tool and to be done correctly, the PC must seek the involvement of the Client, PS and Design Teams! Oliver
Admin  
#38 Posted : 27 January 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis if there is a difference between the pre and construction plans with items ommitted then that may be a cause for concern - but this is not the issue we are talking about. The heart of the problem is that the PS is trying to do things at the site start point which should and will have been dealt with at the pre-tender phase. Much as contractors are decried very few of them in business for long do not have the ability to plan - our problem is people who want it done in their particular way, matching their bible of constructing a plan. Bob
Admin  
#39 Posted : 27 January 2004 17:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Geoff. I was not point scoring, slips of the pen can have serious consequences! You seem to assume that the PS always advises the Client on the competence of the Construction Phase Plan. The Client can seek other professional advice and often does. The architects of the REGs obviously thought long and hard about how they phrased REG 10 as there is no mention of the PS or other professional advisor in reg only in the ACOP. The Clients duty is 'as far as reasonably practicable' and as he has appointed a competent PC to produce the construction phase plan complying with reg 15(4) where is the need for the PS to dictate the content of the CPPlan I would also draw your attention to ACOP paragraph 82 to 88 of Reg 15 which cover the development of the construction phase plan. The responsibility for the Plan should be transfered to the PC as soon as his appointment is made. In other words the development of the Plan is done by the PC, the only input that the PS should have is making the PC aware of additional hazards when significant design changes are made.
Admin  
#40 Posted : 27 January 2004 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ralph This has been an interesting discussion and I think has shown just how confusing some aspects of CDM can be ten years on from its introduction. Just to get back to the original question. I would have thought that site specific assessments could indeed be made weeks ahead of the start of the project. They can, of course, be based on generic ones but should be tailored to the particular circumstances on site and the particular aspects of the design as identified in the pre-tender H&S plan. Many interesting points have been raised concerning the role of the Planning Supervisor. Robin has, I feel, put the legal position very well whilst. Geoff has contributed from the point of view of someone who carries out the role of Planning Supervisor. Bob seems to be commenting from the Principal Contractors point of view. Personnally I agree with Oliver’s view:- “In my opinion having a comprehensive, practical and functional, site specific Construction Phase H&S Plan is as important as ensuring the correct plant and materials have been ordered!” My own recent experience of a CDM project has been from the standpoint of a health and safety adviser to a client who has commissioned a construction project. I have not been impressed with the way CDM has worked in this case and I can see significant problems with the role of Planning Supervisor. The project involves demolition of part of a structure whilst the remainder was occupied by employees of the client and members of the public. The part being demolished is to be re-built. The job of Planning Supervisor was contracted out to a quantity surveyor. He clearly saw his role as being to receive and approve the Construction Phase health and safety plan. Both the Planning Supervisor and the site manager for the Principal Contractor were surprised that I should want to see copies of the risk assessments and safety method statements prior to commencement of the work as they both clearly felt that this was the Planning Supervisor’s role. I was even told by the PC that they had no legal duty to pass this information to the client (an interesting interpretation but hardly the spirit of cooperation one might hope for). In the event the risk assessments and safety method statements were not made available before the start of the construction work. The Planning Supervisor gave permission (in writing) for the work to start anyway thereby putting the client in technical breach of reg 10 (in my opinion anyway). Part of the work involved asbestos removal and this was subcontracted. I was surprised to see employees of the licensed asbestos removal firm removing asbestos cement cladding by hand with no damping down and no respiratory protective equipment. When I raised this with the PS and the PC I was told that there was no risk and anyone could remove asbestos cement. Clearly there is a risk (even if it is small compared to AIB, sprayed coatings, etc) and HSE’s excellent guidance shows how jobs such as this should be done. Eventually I received a copy of the asbestos removal firm’s documentation and carried out a detailed evaluation of it against the requirements of reg 6 &7 of the Control of Asbestos at Work Regs and associated ACOPS. The documentation was poor, did not meet the requirements set out in the ACOPS and had not correctly assessed the risk of working with the asbestos cement or indeed the other lower risk forms of asbestos containing material on site. Later I managed to obtain the demolition safety method statement which again was far from clear on how the work would actually be done and which had missed some obvious risks. Fortunately there have been no significant accidents on this project so far and HSE have not taken an interest. I can not help thinking that this could have been better managed and one of the significant issues is the assumption by almost everyone involved that checking that health and safety on site is properly managed is the responsibility of the PS. If only all Planning Supervisors were as competent in health and safety as they are in quantity surveying (or whatever) then construction might actually become safer and healthier. The PS tells me he is going to attend an asbestos awareness course following my comments. I realise that this is completely the opposite situation to the one that Geoff seems to encounter where the clients he deals with seem to have little in-house health and safety expertise. It does, however, give another viewpoint on the problems with CDM and the role of Planning Supervisors