Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2004 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston We have requirement for some of our employees taking an oxy-acetylene welding kit in their van for a job off-site. What labeling of the van is required, and are there any other issues ? Shane.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Shane, The kit must be properly secured. Cylinders cannot be allowed to roll around the back of the van. They should be treated like primed bombs. Also, if you are using acetylene rather than propane, is there a requirement to let the acetylene cylinder sit for a certain length of time after it has been moved? I am not sure about this one but I do recall seeing notices in a workplace that if an acetylene cylinder had been moved, it had to sit for half an hour before it could be used. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2004 17:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray From the emergency services point of view please do not carry acetylene as it is a bomb waiting to go off in the back of a vehicle please carry propane. If you do carry acetylene the cylinder must be secured in an upright position, you must ensure that it cannot move about, in any way. Marking on the back of the vehicle which is advisory but not obligatory would be the green compressed gases diamond and also the red flammable diamond. This gives the emergency services an advance warning should the vehicle be involved in an RTC and the driver not being in a position to tell the emergency services of the load. Please think of the emergency services when deciding to carry dangerous substances within your vehicles, not just your staff.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2004 00:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd There is no more risk attached to carrying acetylene than there is with propane. It is no more a "bomb waiting to go off" than is propane. The acetylene is dissolved in acetone held in a dense "sponge". The cylinder should be securely mounted and held vertical. When in transit, the gauges should be off the cylinders. In any case, why would you want to carry cyclinders for welding ? Ever considered that using MIG or MMA welding gear may be both safer and easier ? Gas welding is rarely used anymore. And never with propane anyway !
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2004 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian G. Minty There is an HSE Construction summary sheet that covers "Flame cutting and welding with compressed gases" that I found quite useful. I think that it is a few years old, I found it on technical indexes.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2004 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin