Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2004 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett The Local Authority I work for has been told the HSE will be visiting us to carry out a "stress audit". We have very little information on what the inspectors will be looking for so if any colleagues have been through a similar audit I would be very glad of any advice or help. On a cynical note - as we all know, something intangible like stress is very very difficult to measure and address, especially in a service environment like local government. Could this audit initiative be part of a drive on the part of the HSE to meet their performance targets by focussing on what is for them at least an "easy target"? Just a little controversy to wake us all up on a Monday morning!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hi Zoe I thought it was only service related local goverment, that successfull cases have been won by employees. So start panicing hehehehehehehehehe Good Luck Jason :)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2004 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce Zoe I have emailed you direct with a reply. Brian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2004 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope HSE are doing quite a bit more than any safety organisation to tell you what is required to get a sympathetic conclusion to this audit. By now you should be some way down what I regard as the ten point plan. This is derived from a sheet used by inspectors called the risk control indicators Dutyholder aware of current guidance eg HSG 218 Dutyhoder has established clear policy and Duty holder has identified hazards qualitatively e.g. risk assessment Ditto quantitatively. Dutyholder has implemented control measures or produced a time bound plan for implementation. Employees are aware of any risk assessments relevant to their work and Employees are aware of control measures that should be applied. ˆ Support is available for staff with ill health. Systems in place for active monitoring in place Systems in place for reactive monitoring in place If all this sounds strange get onto the HSE web area for stress and also look up the draft management standards If you have a few hours to spare read at least some of the Beacon of Excellence Research paper , available on HSE site for research Good luck - don't be unduly stressed over this - not many organisations are up to speed.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2004 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Zoe, just a couple of bullet points from HSE commissioned research. HSE commissioned research has indicated that: about half a million people in the UK experience work-related stress at a level they believe is making them ill; up to 5 million people in the UK feel “very” or “extremely” stressed by their work; and work-related stress costs society about £3.7 billion every year (at 1995/6 prices). "easy targets" I think not.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2004 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Whilst many employers have procedures in place to react in the case of an individual reporting stress, they tend to have very limited proactive measures (e.g. Training on the identification of stress, risk assessment etc). The MHSWR require the employer to undertake an assessment of all risks to health and safety, and this would include stress. Without assessing the risk, you would be unable to demonstrate that you have put in place reasonable control measures to reduce stress to an acceptable level. In August 2003 enforcement action was taken against West Dorset General Hospital (NHS Trust) after an HSE inspection revealed that the Trust had failed to carry out a risk assessment of work related stress at the hospital. The draft HSE Management Standards describe a risk assessment methodology for work-related stress, based on the same approach used to assess all other workplace risks. The HSE management standards help employers meet their legal duties on stress by providing clarity on what would be classed as reasonable for them to do. The standards could be used to hold employers to account by the HSE, however they are more likely to be used by Solicitors representing employees in civil compensation claims for stress. If you were to follow the standards you would be able to demonstrate that you had acted as a reasonable employer. However it must be said that these standards are still in draft. I suggest you get hold of the draft standards, or either of the two documents below, and put an implementation plan together before the HSE visit. Shane. 1)HSE, 2001, Tackling Work-Related Stress: A managers guide to improving and maintaining employee health and well-being. 2)HSE, 2003, Real solutions, real people: A managers guide to tackling work-related stress.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2004 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Last week Step Change organised a 2-day workshop on Occupational Health and this subject was covered in an excellent presentation - the presentation can be accessed online at: http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm Look under "Publications Index" for "Occupational Health Workshop Jan 2004 - Presentation Dr Graham Furnace " Two very interesting points were raised during the presentation - 1] There is widespread misconception surrounding the term "stress" due to the constant and endemic misuse of the word. There is always someone who will trot out the old favourite "a little bit of stress is good for you" and this can be difficult to counter. However, if one takes the definition on board correctly, we should be concentrating on the negative aspect of stress as stated in INDG281 - the "adverse reaction people have to excessive pressure". So the proposition was made to refer to it instead as DISTRESS, which now indicates the harmful aspect very well - and it would hard for anyone to now claim that "a little bit of DISTRESS is good for you"! 2] The control standards suggested by the HSE are unsatisfactory. These involve the acceptable percentages of employee's perceptions covering a range of aspects such as work demands, control, support, relationships and roles. All laudible considerations when assessing the general position but the problem is that where there are satisfactory employee perceptions, the flip side is where there are disatisfied employees. If we take Realtionships for example, this requires that at least 65% of employees indicate that they are not subject to unacceptable behaviours at work. So if 34% or less of your employees ARE subject to unacceptable behaviours, that's all right then? Surely not! This is a controversial issue and made all the more so by point [1] - the misunderstanding and misuse of the term Stress. We should be seeking to limit and positively tackle employee distress at work - lets forget the other term - and perhaps more people will join us in this objective without quibbling over the terminology! However, let me say that I agree that the HSE are trying to tackle this difficult issue as best they can and that any steps taken to raise awareness and promote action needs to be supported. You may also find the HEBS publication pack "Work Positive - prioritising occupational stress" enlightening and helpful. It has numerous practical examples with a number being taken from the public sector. HEBS (Health Education Board for Scotland - now called NHS Health Scotland) can be accessed online at: http://www.hebs.com/safe..._topics.cfm?pageID=6.019 Two statistics were quoted at the start of the above mentioned presentation - - (dis-)stress-related ill-health has overtaken musculoskeletal disorders as the most common cause of work-related illhealth according to OPRA (occupational physicians report activity) and has been in the top two listing for several years, and - the same ill-health is the 2nd most common cause of ill-health retirement in the NHS, costing the country around £60m a year. Earleier in the day it was stated that mental ill-health contributed to 50% (yes - fifty percent!) of new reports of occupational ill-health. Sobering thoughts!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2004 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Newman I know that the HSE have recently conducted a stress audit at East Sussex CC they have a standard question proforma that they are using which I believe is freely available although I do not have a copy myself. Contact me direct if you would like some further information.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2004 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Sean, The HSE standards set out what a reasonable employer should do. It does not state that no single employee will suffer "distress". Much in the same that if you are below the noise action levels, or below the MEL for gluteraldehyde no one individual will suffer loss. Society aknowledges that a certain level of risk (and consequently harm) is acceptable. I am not advocating that causing anyone "distress" is acceptable, simply that you can only do what is reasonable to prevent that individual suffering. And that is what the HSE standards aim to do. Shane.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2004 19:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Duignan The standard HSC prescription for risk assessment set out in the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 specifies starting with defining and identifying hazards associated with occupational stress. The Occupational Stress Indicator is a well-researched survey tool which provides data on about 30 hazards associated with occupational stress. It can be used to pinpoint the primary sources of hazards in your organisation so that you can design controls for them. Remarkably, if you read the OSI manual you'll see that the underlying model of occupational stress is very similar to that associated with the HSE management standards (pilot), even though the OSI was published 15 years earlier.