Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2004 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marie Dolman I have been advised that a new position is being created in our machine shop and it is a compulsory requirement of the job that the holder undergoes first aid training (the person being recruited internally is not keen on being a first aider!) Can first aid training be made a compulsory requirement or should someone only become a first aider at work if they wish to do so? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Marie.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2004 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Marie You could try mentioning section 7(b) of HASAWA but if the person is unwilling you would probably be better finding someone else. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2004 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott It sounds to me that this is a "Company Compulsory" requirement. Taken from the Health & Safely (First Aid) Regulation - 1984 (ACOP): How much first aid provision an employer has to make, depends on the circumstances in each workplace. No fixed level exists but each employer needs to assess what facilities and personnel are appropriate. It is good that your employer has identified a process, which requires a suitably trained/competent operator to have a first aid skill - but I do not believe that it is enforceable under the "Health & Safety" banner - it's more likely that this is a company requirement, using the "Health & Safety" legislation as a cover (The words "Suggested numbers etc…" are used a lot - also, there are many references to "This is a suggestion only, this is not a legal requirement" . - First Aid Personnel (ACOP G3-46) I would argue that a person should volunteer to be a First Aider - the ACOP (G3-47) states the selection of first Aider depends on a number of factors, and not withstanding, it makes clear that the person should have an ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures…. I do not believe that an employer can use this legislation to "insist" that they become a first aid qualified/appointed person. So in answer to your last question - no. Chris
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2004 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Sorry, didn;t clarify that very well! "Can first aid training be made a compulsory requirement?" (No I don't beleive so) "Should someone only become a first aider at work if they wish to do so?" (I beleive that first aid staff should be encouraged to volunteer) Chris
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2004 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I don't see why it cannot be included in the job description/contract for a new post. Obviously the selection process would have to ensure someone with the right qualities was appointed (including someone who was prepared to be a first aider).
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2004 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I agree Jack - Having: The post requires you to have a "First Aid Qualification" - is sensible, and dare I say, good practice, but consideration for the post should be given if the person is qualified and competent to do the task - even if they do not wish to be a first Aider. I just do not believe it proper for a company to mislead with the statement "it is a legal requirement" - when clearly it is not (legislatively speaking of course) it is a "company requirement" - that was the message I was trying to put across. Although I suppose if being competent requires you to have some first aid knowledge, then it could be argued, that in order to perform the task you must be competent, therefore you should fulfil the legal requirements in-order that you are sufficiently qualified - that could mean being a First Aider… Best, Chris
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2004 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews I don't believe that a company should be able to make becoming a first aider compulsory upon a particular post. Unless that post is vacant and it is made very clear to all prospective applicants. I worked for a large engineering company that decided to make it compulsory for front line managers to be first aiders. Around twenty of them were put through the four day course and all passed with flying colours. The next day one of them was approached by a worker with a cut finger, the new first aider fainted, struck his head as he fell and had to be taken to A&E with a head wound that required several stitches. The cut finger was treated by another first aider and the worker went straight back to work. You need the right person for the job or you may not have the cover that you think that you have, Richard