Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2004 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Dicker
I work for a local authority and our parks section has asked me for some advice relating to safety in allotments. From what information I have gleaned there does not appear to be any specific standards which govern these locations. My approach will be to assist them in drawing up a hazard checklist,which will prioritise areas that need to be assessed - proximity to water, amount of unauthorised access etc. However, I would be grateful to share best practice with anyone who has been through a similar process. Any information sources and links would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2004 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
It's not really my subject but I thought I would 'rescue' this one before it falls off the front page.

The HSE publish a number of documents (free and priced) that cover agricultural and grounds maintenance type activities so, faced with your situation, I would obtain a copy of their latest publication list and order a copy of everything (including free Agricultural Information Sheets) that could have relevance to what takes place on site (eg spraying insecticides, use of chainsaws, etc) and use these to compile hazard lists and risk control measures. These should cover plant, equipment, soil-borne hazards like Toxacara and Tetanus, etc - which should leave general environmental risks to be addressed (which you can determine from site visits) and the issue of toxic plants like Ragwort and Deadly Nightshade (which could be covered by one general risk assessment referring to safe removal and destruction).

If anyone can produce a better answer than this - please do so.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2004 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Baynes
Not really mine either,well not at all in fact, but having had an allotment, here's some things I've noticed you may wish to follow up. Allotment holders tend to be in the older age groups, they don't take kindly to EC Directives and you will probably find lots of now banned substances in use. A fresh swathe has just been banned but you may well find they have stored stuff for decades, some may be intended for agricultural use rather than domestic. In addition they are fond of home produced remedies for all sorts of bugs and diseases. These are strictly illegal. Then there are fires, they will burn any old rubbish, grow crops on the ashes and consume them,along with any toxic substances the plants have absorbed. "Hey they've always done it" they will tell you. Any allotment will probably have some asbestos of indeterminate origin hanging about. When it breaks, some dust will be produced with all the obvious hazards, some is incorporated into the soil - until the sun shines, they hoe the powder dry soil and raise the dust. Don't know where you stand re accidents, some sites are remote, no first aid facilities, no public phone, though the advent of mobiles has helped there, but can you guarantee that there will be one available? Do you have to? I don't know. Is this any different to any other facility which is hired out to the public, just because it is outdoors? Will the same standards not have to be followed, including welfare facilities?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2004 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Lennon
Geoff. Is an allotment a workplace? Surely they are let to individuals in the same way that a house is let to a tenant! Conditions of use should be dictated in the lease.

Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2004 17:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Prrevious responders have looked at what the allotment holder could do - chemicals, fires, etc.

How about your responsibilities for the health and safety of allotment holders ? Starting with safe access to their patch, danger from falling trees, falling into holes, lakes or rivers, oooh, I can't go on !
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2004 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
By the way, I'm sure an allotement would nowadays be classed as a leisure center - do you need to provide parking spaces, with some reserved for handicapped persons, in addition to toilet and first aid facilities ?

We ought to stop this thread before we get safety a bad name
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2004 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
PS. RoSPA should also have some stuff on garden safety which could unearth a few ideas and if you try a web search on this there should be some more to read.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2004 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Dicker
Many thanks to all those who have responded - my hazard list is now much longer! We are looking mainly at the safety of allotment holders in terms of Occupiers Liability but there are workplace considerations for our own grounds maintenance staff who do some grasscutting around the plots. Other risks include, unauthorised access and arson as well as authorised access, because several of the allotment areas have public footpaths running through them. I agree that as a result of this exercise we may need to alter the wording on the leases.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2004 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Can I just add the risk to council officials telling these folks what they must do.

The probability of needing to extract a garden impliment from bodily orrifices is in the region of "highly likely".