Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2004 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon Can anyone point me in the right direction......... I need to find out any info on what types of ladders are used for what type of job. Thanks Sharon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bennett I found what you wanted at B&Q, they have a good range of leaflets that are quite informative.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis My answer I am afraid is as few as possible for as few jobs as possible. I prefer to eliminate the use altogether if I can. There are now such a wide range of fold up towers such as the Roomate from SGB and other equivalents that I prefer only to see ladders in very restricted, some would say badly designed, workplaces Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2004 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Good call Bob. I'm looking for an alternative for my cleaning company. Caught them this morning running a 20'+ Aluminium ladder up to the second floor, in the wind - with no one at the bottom - trying to clean my windows… (Yes… with bucket, sponge, bla bla) Apparently he had been told that if he "stuck the bottom in the mud" it would suffice.... >:( Chris
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2004 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Sharon Ladders are for access only - never use one as a work platform because it isn't one. And I would not suggest buying them from B&Q either if you're going to use them as work equipment. Check CDM regs. Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2004 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope Risk assessment, Risk assessment,Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, Risk assessment, but also look at the forthcoming Work at height Regs. Regards, Alan B
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2004 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Alan, Unless you knew the answer to Sharons question, a risk assessment would be as useful as a chocolate ashtray.... She is doing the correct thing by asking questions in order for her to start the RA process. We hear far too often the response of "your risk assessment will identify what needs to be done". Only a competent RA with competent input would identify what she needs to know. So why not help her...
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2004 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary May Sharon - please dont be put off when asking questions - the majority of advice given is quite good especially when it is clarifed by others. You will find in the market place different ladders - avoid wooden ladders and try to encourage the use of aluminium - you will need to train your staff in the use and then have an ispection system in place for the ladder, which is used as a means of access.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2004 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Weatherill Further to inspection of ladders - on a regular basis - make sure that they are marked permanently with a discrete number and keep the records Good luck Bryan
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2004 08:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Sharon, As a qualifier to Gary's comments, never use aluminium ladders on electrical work.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2004 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould From what I can remember ladders come with British standard numbers, so maybe BS can help. I may be wrong but certain numbers were suitable for certain environments. This may of course be about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike. Good luck with your task Sharon :) Jason
Admin  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2004 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Hiya, have a look at: BS 1129:1982 'Specificationfo portable timber ladders, steps, trestles and lightweight stagings' is probably the document you need to be able to ascertain which ladders are required for what jobs. I concur that aluminium ladders should not be used for electrical work, but you should also be careful with wooden ladders as some of these have steel reinforcement depending on class (See Bs 1129:1982). We use fibreglass ladders for electrical work here which I think you will find are quite handy and reasonably priced. Hope this helps. Hilary
Admin  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2004 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston You may also wish to know that ladders are classified into types. If you look for example at the picture on the side of any new ladder you will see the specification for it i.e. for domestic use, for light industial use etc. However, I agree limit the use of ladders as much as possible as they should only be used for short duration, infrequent work. Hope it helps Steve
Admin  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2004 18:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche Sharon, I have emailed you directly with our company guidance on ladders and tower scaffolds. After consultation with a friend who regularly speaks to HSE inspectors, they (the inspectors) have now been instructed that any activity over 15 minutes duration on a ladder counts as a workplace and requires a working platform, anything less than 15 minutes and you have a "reasonably practicable" get out, ie changing a lightbulb off a stepladder, ok, painting a wall, not ok,hope this helps
Admin  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2004 06:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon Thanks all and John, John the information you have given me is very useful...............................
Admin  
#16 Posted : 09 February 2004 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis John I'm sure the HSE would also have said "provided there are always three points of contact"! This means one hand only may be used unless a harness fix is also available. The problem with this 15 minute is that it does not reduce the risk level of the task and the inspectors I speak to are actually loath to be so specific as it is very much task related. Bob
Admin  
#17 Posted : 09 February 2004 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche Robert, I am in total agreement, I was attempting to give Sharon the "heads up" on general guidelines the HSE have been issued with regarding use of ladders for work tasks, there are many more factors to be considered besides 3 points of contact although that is a good starting point, such as footing of the ladder, internal or external use, nature of task, ground conditions etc.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 09 February 2004 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Hard to imagine the window cleaner pushing a tower scaffold around a housing estate!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 09 February 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Agree Geoff, but he could use a cherry picker
Admin  
#20 Posted : 09 February 2004 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Or a pole!! Bob
Admin  
#21 Posted : 09 February 2004 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood i used to be a painter before i moved into health and safety and came across situations where the firm i worked for would have you working off ladders even when other means of access could have been used, this was solely down to cost reduction
Admin  
#22 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor See Construction Site Safety Note GE700/7 'Ladders, Steps and Lightweight Staging' from the Construction Industry Training Board.