Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2004 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Main Hello all, I have just been asked and hope that someone out there can help in answering it. When it comes to looking at CCTV monitors is there any guidance on distances you should be away from the monitor, space around the workstation etc or does it all fall within the DSE regs? Thanks as ever for any information you maybe able to provide. Graeme.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2004 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray This is a real bone of contention as we have seen a great increase in the use of CCTV monitoring centres. I have been tasked with looking into this and no they do not fall into the DSE regs as there is no alpha numeric input. The other point is that the operator usually has a bank of small screens mounted in a wall and angled towards an operating position, which is deemed to be the normal position. The operator only usually concentrates on one screen and picks up a camera and moves the joy stick to operate the camera they currently have on the main screen. Many of the screens are fixed in position or have very little adjustment. A risk assessment on the job and recommendations as to the period of work and breaks would need to be undertaken, if the workload can be shared between staff to reduce exposure to watching the screen this should be considered. We do this in our town centre monitoring rooms and ensure staff are regularly rotated. There seems to be no legislation of best practice for this type of operation.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2004 18:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Waddell Sorry to disagree with Martin, but the revised DSE Guidance (published 2003) clearly shows that CCTV monitors are now included within the general range of DSE equipment. Table 1 on page 5/6 of the guidance book clearly defines "security control room operative" as "definite display screen users". I know this as my organisation has recently had lengthy "discussions" with the HSE on the revised guidance. At present, our "discussions" surround the type of eye test which should be carried out, particularly in relation to the distance that said eye test is carried out at. We have been advised that this can only be decided by the optician. Our staff use a wide variety of types of monitor, with viewing distances varying greatly, in some newer installations, there is a low of adjustment available, however older installations tend to be fixed. It is a problem that does not appear to have been thought out at the time of the change of the guidance, however, if anyone has heard of definative guidance re eyetesting, I would like to be advised. Hope this is of help to you.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2004 01:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Of course, while the amount (if any) of xrays emitted from modern crts' is very low....if you're stuck in front of a stack of them ......
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2004 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Thanks for the update Tom, it look like I will have a fair bit of work to do with 5 CCTV control centres
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2004 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By alec_wood@ntlworld.com Don't worry about the X-Rays much. If the units are less than 8 years old, then the emissions are negligible, especially at the front of the unit - most emissions from old CRT units was out the back of the unscreened plastic case. Problems are more likely to be the classic DSE ones, minus the keyboard risks. Think of how will you position the operator given that the monitors are largely fixed. Musculo-skeletal disorders will be high on your hazards list, but don't forget glare induced eyestrain and the like. Don't be a penny-pincher when it comes to choosing and providing the chairs!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2004 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd The radiation emission was out of the side actually...and the case is irrelevant, since the front is glass...and the shadow-mask is perforated. Since the NRPB accepts that there is no safe level of radiation, and that frequent gene damage leads to a dramatic increase in various cancers, you should not be using words like negligible. Maybe you should also look at the stats on xray induced tumours...like an average of 65 women a year contract breast cancer from damage caused by mamograms ? (statistically) CCTV monitors are much less likely to emit xrays...but the chance of them doing so grows when the contast and brightness are run high....fortunately, I don't have a projection tv !! Maybe you ought to start looking at TFT monitors ? Or check that your insurance will pay-out if someone develops cancer and decides to sue ? Since the high level of vacuum within the crt COULD lead to an implosion, with all the risks of flying glass (half an inch thick) in an accident....and that the high voltages within said crt (20 thousand plus) could lead to problems AGAIN if an accident occurs. Still, crts' are cheaper....seems a familiar theme in all H&S discussions...."what's the cheapest safety we can afford" or "will the insurance pay if we kill someone"
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2004 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Well I am going to disagree with you about the direction of radiation but that's really irrelevant to the original question. What must be decided is "significant risk". While there are indeed levels of radiation from CRT units, circuitry to prevent the increased generation of X-Rays from high contrast/brightness has been required to be fitted and tested before sale for some considerable time. For the purposes of risk assessment, I would regard the latent emissions as insignificant or negligable. For lowest emmissions look for units that comply with the TCO'95 or TCO'99 standards, usually badged on the unit or box. Don't choose TFT on the basis of emissions. While TFT units are incapable of generating X-Rays, they are quite difficult to screen electrically as effectively as the CRT-type units. As the previous poster pointed out, there are no levels for X-Rays set as "safe" by NRPB and the jury is very much out on electrical fields too. We can never eliminate risk. That is a fact. What we must do is decide what is "significant risk" based on current scientific evidence and unfortunately it is an inescapable truth that the results of this will always be subjected to a cost benefit analysis somewhere down the line. Alec Wood
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2004 20:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd We'll have to have a level of disagreement on this. The maintenance of cctv displays has been a bone of contention for some time, since the operators are usually unwilling to have regular maintenance work done, so repair work is usually the order-of-the-day. X rays are generated when electrons (or other charged particles) undergo severe acceleration (or deceleration). This can happen in any electronic device that operates at several kilo-volt or more, which place any display using a crt as a risk factor. TFT displays are low-voltage devices in any case, with potentials being in tens of volts as opposed to tens of thousands of the crt displays.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2004 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Hi, Can I just change the subject for a moment please? There appear to be a number of "bones of contention" appearing in this thread (or is it "bone of contentions?)... but what is the origin of that phrase? Anyone? Alan
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2004 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Surely this refers to the strife caused between dogs when thrown a bone. The dogs contend with each other over the bone that they have been thrown. Not that I'm inferring that my learned colleagues are dogs.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 12 February 2004 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Woof Woof! Alec Wood