Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2004 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tracey Thompson We all know we have to have business cover on our car insurance if we are using our car for work, but what if we have an accident on the way into work in the morning, 10 minutes before we are due to start our contracted hours? I was under the impression that if we told our insurers that the accident happened on the way to work and we were not covered, they may not necessarily pay out any compensation claim. From an employers point of view, where do they stand, should they record this accident, (as the employee was travelling to their place of employment) or does this apply to the employer before work starts or just during contracted hours? Tracey
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2004 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calogero Gattuso I always thought business cover, for insurance purposes was if you used the car as part of your job e.g A sales rep / service engineer etc.. I would assume your normal insurance cover would cover you whilst your on the way to work (I am not an expert through). Again, If the accident was outside work premises, I thought its not a requirement to report the accident. Cheers, Calogero Gattuso
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2004 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Interesting question. However, the travel to and from your place of work is not considered to be working time, therefore the employer is under no obligation to record it and it will not affect your personal car insurance claim. The company may wish it to be recorded in their system though, in case there is a pattern developing - location and access / egress from premises may be a concern and these reports would provide the evidence needed to justify changes. If the car was provided by the company then there might be a requirement to log all accidents, even during leisure time, as it involves company property. This would be down to the company to dictate - again there would be no legal compulsion to do so.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2004 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Tracey, I thought most people were insured for social, domestic and pleasure which includes your journey to and from work. I think what people need to be careful of is cheap insurance policies (not mentioning any names) as these are NON-STANDARD PRODUCTS and do not cover many things that other policies do and a number of people have been caught out. For example, I have my car insured for business use with Zurich. I am in Northern Ireland but can also drive in Southern Ireland. If I went with a cheap insurer (think of a very large animal) I would only be covered to drive on business in the UK. Also, with this cheaper insurer, you pay your whole policy up front but it gets cancelled and you start again if your car gets stolen. Imagine if your car got stolen during the first month - you would have to fork out 2 years insurance money in the space of 1 month! Regards, Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2004 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I think that travelling to/from your normal place of work is not classed as business travel. However, if you are travelling to another business location e.g. another of your offices or factory etc. this would be deemed as business travel.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2004 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Car insurance is normally for Social, domestic and pleasure, including commuting to and from a single place of work, although you may need to specify the commuting bit. (Specifying that you don't reduces your premium based on most traffic, therefore accidents and claims occur during the rush hour). Above this, you need business use insurance.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2004 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Hardiment I am doing a final year project on exactly your problem. However, I am looking at it from a managers point of view. I have been interviewing people about this subject. Is it possible that you can contact me at joe.hardiment@talk21.com, so that I can send you the questions. There are approximately 30 questions, and would not take more than 30 mins to fill in. Thankyou for your time Joe