Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2004 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope Our operatives and Contractors have a nasty habit of cutting the their fingers off (exageration) with Stanley Knives, or similar. I have heard of the use of safety knives, but have never seen these and do not understand how they might work. Can anyone point me in the direction, as its about time I started doing something about this issue rather than just collecting the stats. The operative in this instance was not wearing gloves, therefore if anybody has any suitable suggestions on types of gloves that give the necessary touch sensitivity and the protection against sharp blades, I will be most grateful. Thanks in advance for any help. Alan B
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2004 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calogero Gattuso Alan, Martor solingen is a good supplier of a selection of safety knives. They details are as follows: Martor direct (UK) LIMITED Ahed Road Dewsbury Road Ossett West Yorkshire WF5 9ND Tel : 01 924 281333 Fax : 01 924 281444 e-mail : dennis@martor-uk.demon.co.uk Web : http://www.martor.de Hope this helps. Calogero Gattuso
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2004 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Alan You could also try: http://www.safetyknife.net Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2004 17:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Roper Alan, Try the aptly named Safety Knife Co. Ltd. Tel : 01452 318922 (Gloucester) www.safetyknife.net
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2004 19:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Gladwell Alan There are several different types of KEVLAR gloves, these will protect against knife injuries.Obviously it depends on the type of work that the operatives are undertaking as to weather they would be suitable.There is a national company called ARCO that can supply these gloves. Regards Roy
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2004 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hi Alan, Martor also have a video and CD-ROM so you can see clips of the various safety knives in operation. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2004 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Rae Alan On closer examination of these incidents, you would probably find that a stanley knife is NOT the correct tool for the job in the first instance. Even if it were suitable, the blade is probably blunted to a degree which makes the effort required to cut (and possible injuries) all that much worse. A risk assessment is the way to go. At that point, if one of the many safety knives available on the market is NOT an option for you, take the bull by the horns and implement a knife management strategy. Typically this will include the removal of all personal open bladed knives from the workplace. Provide a simple training programme in the safe use of stanley knives and apphend attendees names to an authorised user register. Issue stanley knives c/w a pair of kevlar gloves and brand new blade in a pack from a central location against a signature - but only to authorised users. Ensure everyone who comes on site is aware of the system and why it was necessary to implement it - possibly through the site induction programme. Take this advice and your injury rates WILL reduce. If they don't - I'll eat my hard hat! Regards..DR
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2004 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I have always found the Martor knives of the type similar to a "Stanley" type utility knife with a spring loaded blade to be cheap and reliable. The only problem with them is that they are more often than not used incorrectly. At this company, knife cuts were historically about 40% of all accidents even though the Martor knife was in use. Correct usage and the fitment of blades which have the points removed has reduced this incidence dramatically. I can email you a training poster for this type of knife if you wish. Incidentally we found that for this type of knife, cutproof gloves were not necessary. Our existing minimal risk cotton glove provided sufficient protection in this situation coupled with the use of rounded-end blades to prevent stab type injuries. Alec Wood
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2004 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr Alec, could you e mail me that poster please. We use Mator knives and I would like a poster as part of our training. Thanks in anticipation Gavin