Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2004 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler Scenario: Company has large portfolio of properties, mostly rented from a landlord who is requesting that they fulfill their duties in accordance with CAWR 2002 (Reg4). Company wishes to: Prioritise properties in accordance with age. Oldest (and more likely asbestos containing)properties surveyed first. Establish whether the newer properties need a survey at all. (Less than five years old unlikely to have asbestos as Chrysotile was banned in 1999.) Also as other tenants in the Landlords building (eg other shops in a shopping centre) have had surveys and indeed the Landlord has surveyed the communal areas etc) is it possible (and legal) to extrapolate the findings of the completed surveys to the company's shop/area. ie No asbestos found in the rest of the shopping centre so no asbestos in the shop. This I beleive is the practical way of doing this but is it legal? Or do ALL premises (and bits of premises) have to have a register of asbestos (requiring an expensive survey etc)even if its very very likely none will be found? I am aware of the Leasing agreement being one of the first places to look and that the Landlord may insist on a survey etc etc. But is this what is required by the Law? Any Thoughts?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2004 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson This approach is perfectly reasonable and practical. Reg 4 requires that: (3) In order to enable him to manage the risk from asbestos in non-domestic premises, the dutyholder shall ensure that a suitable and sufficient assessment is carried out as to whether asbestos is or is liable to be present in the premises. (4) In making the assessment - (a) such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances shall be taken; and (b) the condition of any asbestos which is, or has been assumed to be, present in the premises shall be considered. (5) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (4), the dutyholder shall ensure that - (a) account is taken of building plans or other relevant information and of the age of the premises; and (b) an inspection is made of those parts of the premises which are reasonably accessible. So if you take regard of the age and relevant information, building file from the CDM reg's and verify that information is accurate by your facilities manager inspecting the premises, then you are complying with the letter and the spirit of the regulations. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2004 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Tyler, With respect to part two of the question as to whether you can extrapolate, it depends on all the facts. If you had a 1960's shopping centre the answer is definately no, because shop fitters could and did put it in the individual shops when shop fitting in units. In a mid to late 1980's shopping centre, yes because the only material likely to have been used was asbestos cement materials and these generally structural. In any event if you are to extrapolate, carry out type 1 surveys to verify the findings in uninspected properties. Furthermore put policies and procedures in place for finding suspicious materials and train people to identify and sample suspect materials. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2004 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie You mentioned buildings built in the last 5 years as less of a priority. Buildings built since 1985 should not contain asbestos in its blue or brown forms. The Asbestos (Prohibition) Regulations 1985
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2004 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Daly CAWR2002 Regulation 4 only applies to non-domestic premises which are fifteen years or older. Even if you know for certain that asbestos does not exist in your buildings you still have to produce an asbestos register stating that fact. Obviously in this case the register could be a simple one page document. There are risks associated with extrapolating data from other premises. If you occupy very old premises it is possible improvements were made in the 1960's which could have introduced asbestos onto the site. Just because your neighbour does not have asbestos does not mean you are also asbestos free. The regulation requires you to "pressume that materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence to suppose they do not", my personal opinion is that using data from surveys of other premises does not represent strong evidence. The asbestos register, as with all risk assessments has to be kept up to date - it is not a one-off exercise. I cannot see how you would keep the register up to date having used only extrapolated data. Your landlord and your insurance company may have their own view point on the adequacy of using data from other premises. According to the HSE a Type 1 survey should cost about twenty two pence per square metre and a Type 2 survey should cost about thirty eight pence per square metre. If remediation is required you should be able to obtain a one hundred and fifty per cent tax rebate for the cost of the survey and the remediation thereby reducing your costs significantly.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2004 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Martyn, Whilst buildings built after 1985 should not contain Amosite or Crocidolite, they did Chrysotile in asbestos cement products. For this reason they need to be inspected. Dear Michael, Your statement "CAWR2002 Regulation 4 only applies to non-domestic premises which are fifteen years or older" is wrong. There is no reference to any date and I refer you to my first posting on this thread. I am also intrigued by your statement "If remediation is required you should be able to obtain a one hundred and fifty per cent tax rebate for the cost of the survey and the remediation thereby reducing your costs significantly." Have you further details or a reference? Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2004 18:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Daly Adrian, It would appear you are correct about the fifteen year point and I am wrong. When I did my training to become an asbestos surveyor we were told the regulations would only apply to non-domestic premises that were fifteen years and older. The intention was to bring a new group of buildings into the regulations each year instead of requiring all buildings to be appraised by 21 May 2004. I have spent a Sunday afternoon reading the regulations (without falling asleep) and there is no mention of fifteen years. I will now have to change my literature but it certainly opens up additional business potential. As far as the tax credit is concerned this comes under the Finance Act 2001 for the remediation of contaminated land. The Inland Revenue have accepted the provisions apply to buildings and land. If you have a look at the Inland Revenue web-site look for IM2532. Alternatively there is an article relating to this at http://www.kirkbydiamond.co.uk/news.asp?id=90 Hope this helps