Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2004 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin knox Could anyone please advise as per any guidance, either national (England, Scotland), or regional regarding and DEFR or others, relating to the issue of children using passenger lifts, particularly in educational establishments. Best practice or policy from a local authority would be welcomed. I know the requirements of PUWER will apply - information, instruction etc, I am putting an argument forward why children should not be allowed to use such - unless accompanied by an adult, in general, however - I need to fully assess the application of such a rule - to older children, i.e. 11,12,13,14,15 year olds as it may be deemed acceptable that certain age groups with the correct instruction etc, could use - however, my instinct at the moment is guarded against such. Any comments will be welcomed, Thanks Martin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2004 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I don't know of any guidance relating specifically to young people, however for lifts in general I would recommend a good read of LOLER and of BS5655. A risk assessment of the potential hazards associated with their use and the fact that the users are children should protect you from liability. Ask yourself is their use of the lifts really necessary. Many of the schools I have been in have used a key operated call button and the key issued only to those requiring it on disability access grounds or for a one-off move of heavy equipment. Unless the building is unusually high I would stick to having the children use the stairs. The medical profession is already telling us they do not get enough exercise! Alec Wood
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2004 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Fiona Cowan Marting The following link is to a list of building design for education etc publications on the teachernet site. http://www.teachernet.go...0Publications%20List.doc There is advice for best practice, use etc on the site too. Hope this is of use. regards Fiona
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We operate our school lifts with keys to control use by adults, disabled pupils, etc. You don't really want pupils messing around in lifts without proper supervision!