Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michelle
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any Irish or EU Legislation which refers to the use of Laptops in the workplace. As a continuous laptop user I find it very strenuous and would like to know what legislation is out there.

Thanks

Michelle
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Michelle

Is there an Irish equivalent to the British Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992? If so, this may tell you what you need to know.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michelle Driscoll
My belief was that laptops should only be used for short periods due to screen size and definition and the crap keyboard layout.

Our staff here are encourged to use and monitor and full keyboard if they are planning to use the laptop for a significant period.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2004 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Michelle

In an idle moment, I had a look at the HSA site; follow this link http://www.hsa.ie/law/le...y_acts/gen_app.htm#part7 to find out more.

Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2004 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews
Laptops should not be used, on their own, as a main computer. If you do want to use one as a main computer, as I do, you should have a docking station with a full sized monitor, detached keyboard and mouse.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2004 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott
Yes, docking station and full array of peripherals is the answer.

Laptops are portable equipment, if used as a desk station/workstation, then we insist that the "docking station" rules apply, and then a full ergonomic assessment can be performed.

Regards
Chris
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2004 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Agree with the last two responses but do the HSE say that anywhere?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2004 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Yes Geoff, see HSG 90 (the easy guide:

'Whenever possible, users should be encouraged to use their portable at a docking station. Or, they can use the portable with a plug-in full-sized keyboard and mouse, enabling the height and position of the portable's screen to be adjusted by placing it on raiser blocks.'