Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2004 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin Welch I would be interested to know anyones view on Goods Inwards Staff entering catering refrigerators and PPE. Whilst I appreciate a suitable warm thick jacket, gloves and hat are required for general comfort, is it a requirement to provide any further PPE to a person who spends between 60 seconds and 5 minuets a day in this environment. Any comments welcome Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2004 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Robin, Without wanting to appear facetious, I would say that you are being overly generous in providing a jacket, hat and gloves for personnel who are having such a low exposure to this perceived hazard. Did you mean that they enter this cold environment for such short periods but on a frequent basis per day, so there is the cumulative effect, or what it actually read as, which was no more than 5 minutes per day. Example - we operate a small yard and in recent times I have been out in my shirtsleeves when the ambient temperature was below 0 degC. I was only out for a couple of minutes, fully aware of my decision not to wear a jacket and immediately returned to a warm building. If I had needed to be out longer, I would probably have worn my own winter jacket to keep reasonably warm. But if I was routinely working in that environment, I would expect to have reasonable warm clothing supplied (as you suggested) and to return to a warmer environment immediately my activities finished. But ONLY if I was being expected to enter that environment frequently and for relatively prolonged periods. Under the principles of risk assessment you should be seeking to change the working practice to eliminate or at least reduce the exposure to the hazard before you consider additional PPE in any case - bear in mind that PPE always fails to danger and it cannot be considered an effective means of reducing risk. Horses for courses. Another way to look at it is the difference between user and an operator under DSE - the level of risk is proportional to the exposure to the activity.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2004 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin Welch ..
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2004 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin Welch Sean Thanks for your reply, it is as written 5 mins per day (not frequently during the course of a day). There would be little or no cumulative effect with such short exposure. Thanks