Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2004 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Warren Cole We, as an FE College have just moved our carpentry and joinery department (with stonemasons soon to follow) into what was a large industrial warehouse unit. Even with a newly installed LEV system, the type of work that is done inevitably creates dust. The heating system for the workshop is a large convection type heater, drawing in cold air, and blowing out warm air from the top. My concern, is firstly that the dust within the area is simply being recirculated, but also there are concerns over the risks of fire and explosion. I have obviously considered COSHH and PUWER but I would be grateful if anybody could provide any more detailed information on the suitability of such heating systems - there is no indication of who the manufacturer is. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2004 15:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Warren The risk will depend on whether the heater is direct or indirect. If the combustion gases are used to heat the space directly, there is a risk that you could ignite airborne combustible dusts (although I would have thought it unlikely that you would have explosive concentrations blowing about). If the heater has a balanced flue drawing fresh air in from outside the building and the combustion gases heat the workshop air through a heat exchanger, such a risk would be much less. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2004 19:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Since it exhausts directly to the workshop it is unlikely to "directly" heat the air, so it will have a heat exchanger. Is it gas fired ? If so you have to have it serviced regularly anyway and the exhaust gases will be checked for CO and CO2 etc. The air for the burner will be drawn from the workshop air, so that is a potential source of risk, unless there is a separate inlet from the ouside for the air to the burner. You should have extraction anyway, since wood dust is damaging to the respiratory system. The hse website has lists of publications available and some info directly readable.