Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2004 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump Can anyone tell me if forklift operators should recieve training for using forklift attachments? i.e drum carriers crane hooks etc.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2004 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello Paul, Yes, they certainly should. Get yourself a copy of the HSE publication L117 Rider-operated Lift Trucks: Operator Training. Below is an extract: "43 Specific job training will be tailored to the employer’s special needs and include, where appropriate: (a) knowledge of the operating principles and controls of the lift truck to be used, especially where these relate to handling attachments specific to the job, or where the controls differ from those on which the operator has been trained. " Regards, Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2004 12:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I would say yes absolutely don't hesitate and get some arranged. Though the Acops for flt can seem somewhat vauge at times and I have not got my copy at hand. I can say from experience that training is a must for attatchments. Too many times Ive met workers who have little training on flt (one day in house) Ive seen them damage trucks, knock shutter doors down, round corners on 2 wheels, tip loads, hit toes etc etc. I had driven counter balance for 10 years when 1 job requested I get used to the clamps in a large tissue manufacturing plant. As an employee you always say I can do that, Ill get used to it blah blah. Trust me paul, with no prior traing on the dangers of clamps etc, I was panicking, scared and uncomfortable with the veihcle. The co-workers scoffed and took the P*** so you carry on. Well imagine 300+ kg rolls of tissue stacked 5 high in wharehouse. To be exact it was 10 rows at 5 high. Anyway I was putting a roll up and knocked the stack and the dominoes rolled. Leaving 1 person in shock because he was nearly hit, 50+ rolls on floor some smashing outer wall completely and wrecking 2 truck cabs outside the building. HSE visit, insurance visit, angry truckies etc etc and 50 damaged rolls. After all that I hope Ive convinced you to get some training, Legal requirement or not. p.s. It was before I embarked on my safety career and the money offered was too tempting. Best regards Jason
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2004 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Jason, it would appear that you as an employee were in breach of Regulation 14 (2) (a) and (b) of the Management Regs. Thats one for you to look up on a Friday afternoon. And you're an aspiring Safety Practitioner, shame on you :-))
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2004 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould :) What can I say peter A)No training beforehand B)Told that by operating the truck formed part of my training C)Agency aggreeing with employer that I was being trained on the job. D)Peer pressure E)Money motivation F)Mis-perception of my capability And finaly Ignorance which as you state is no excuse in the eyes of the law. Lessons learnt ENSURE ALL STAFF USING FLT ARE FULLY TRAINED BEFOREHAND. You will have to remind me of that regs reading as all my documents and books are packed up ready to be transfered when needed for my new Job which will gain me some experience in this field of work. hahahahahahahehehehehehehe (evil laugh) :)