Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2004 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Shaw I have recently been given the responsibility for co-ordinating the disposal of waste from our site. I do not have much experience in this field and so that I can ensure compliance with the Special Waste Regulations, I feel I need some training in Waste Management. Can anyone recommend a course that will improve my competence in this field? I am based in Nottingham. Thanks, Nick.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2004 08:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Fisher Nick, There is a course run by the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management called the "Waste Awareness Certificate". I think this is what you are looking for. If you go to http://www.ciwm.co.uk and at the bottom of the menu on the left hand side of the screen is the associated link. I am not sure how much of the Special Waste Regulations this covers so you may wish to give them a ring first. Hope this helps, Richard Fisher Waste Technician
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2004 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver Hi Richard, the best bit of advice i can give you is to contact your local Enviuronment Agency office direct and they will send you an information pack regarding waste management. i would also consider contacting a waste management company i.e BIFFA, SETA etc who will carry out a waste audit for you and inform you of your legal obligations. i have found these are the best ways ot increase you knowledge of waste management issue. if you have a waste disposal facility nearby it may be usefeull to try and arrange a site visit, i have done this with our local incinerator during my OU studies (very useful). there is loads of stuff on the net, aswell as information regarding IPPC. if you need anymore info please feel free to email me (no i'm not touting for work :-) ) Paul