Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2004 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Roddis I would be interested in your understanding of this term and how it applies during an investigation by an enforcement officer. My view has always been as follows: Legal professional privilege extends to communications, statements, reports and information created during the course of a solicitor-client relationship, the broad purpose of which is the obtaining and giving of legal advice.   If a document was created for several purposes, it will attract privilege only if the dominant purpose was obtaining legal advice. Thus if a company has prepared a report on an accident, this will be privileged if the dominant purpose was the obtaining of legal advice, but it will not be privileged if it is prepared simply because there has been an accident,  or for avoidance of further accidents. The view recently expressed to me is that no matter what the purpose if you have prepared the report with the involvement of your solicitor then LPP applies. I find this difficult to accept. I would appreciate any comments and particularly any documentation that will help me with this. regards Pete
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram My understanding is that your original view is correct. IOSH is hoping to publish advice covering this and other aspects of doing an internal inquiry & report in parallel with an external investigation. However this won't happen for some months at the earliest. The following are my personal thoughts, not IOSH. From a practitioners viewpoint, the main purpose of an internal investigation is to identify root causes and implement suitably improved controls so as to prevent a recurrence. This will often include publicity to all those involved in similar situations, so that lessons are learned. A secondary purpose may be to accurately record evidence, to be used in a possible future legal case, either civil or common law. However if publicity is required so as to achieve the main purpose, legal privilege is lost. As a generality, for a civil law case, genuine attempts to understand the causes and help others to learn from the accident are likely to result in a reduced penalty if the case eventually comes to court and charges are proven. However, thorough investigations can also present evidence on a plate to a potential prosecutor, if a copy of the internal investigation is given to or obtained by them. This is a delicate area, where is is important not to give the impression of withholding significant evidence, whilst at the same time expecting enforcement agencies to collect their own evidence in preference to merely reading and copying yours. In my experience, open discussion about the difficulties in this area with HSE Inspectors has never got me into trouble, though I know of others who think differently (I have no experience with LA's or police investigations). Similarly, honest discussions with company lawyers have sometimes resulted in minor changes to the wording of a 'final draft' internal investigation report, but never to the point where I judged my professional integrity was compromised.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2004 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee I attended a Midlands Branch meeting a few years ago where the solicitor giving the presentation seemed to suggest that this was a route that could be taken to prevent dislcosure of information to the enforcing authority. The suggestion was that if you ask your solicitor for legal advice on the application of the law to a particular issue the advice given including risks assessments and decisions e.g. on what is reasonably practicable (prepared by a third party for the solicitor) is priveleged. I don't think the solicitor was advocating this a a routine but it was mentioned in relation to "protection" for sensitive or complex cases where implementing additional controls could be very expensive. My thoughts were that if you are complying with the law what have you got to hide?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2004 19:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Roddis Ian/Simon Thanks for your responses. This seems to be an interesting area and one I am currently debating extensively as I am preparing a protocol for dealing with enforcement interventions. It would be good to extend this discussion if possible to how we investigate incidents and then respond to requests for copies of reports by the HSE etc. My approach in the past has always been that we have provided whatever the HSE request in order to cooperate. There is little point in hiding things as they will find out anyway and its better to be honest about what was wrong and how you have responded. This has almost always worked well in terms of the outcome. Howver, LPP is a difficult issue and I would be interested in any other views out there. Are there any members with legal training who could help?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2004 00:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd The basic principles of law dealing with legal professional privilege state that documents relating to matters in question in the action are privileged from production and inspection. One of the classes which are so privileged is documents protected by legal professional privilege. In short, letters and other communications passing between a party and their solicitor are privileged from production and inspection, provided that they are written by or to the solicitor in their professional capacity and for the purpose of obtaining legal advice or assistance for the client. The privilege extends to communications between a party and his solicitors’ employee or agent, and also to communications between a party and a solicitor in his service, for example a solicitor to a government department or in a legal department of a commercial enterprise. Communications passing between a solicitor and a third party are privileged from production and inspection if two criteria are met: (a) they come into existence after litigation is contemplated or commenced; and (b) they are made with a view to litigation, either for the purpose of obtaining or giving advice in regard to it, or for obtaining evidence to be used in it. This could include, for instance, a surveyor’s report obtained in a building action, or witness statements obtained by the solicitor for possible use at a trial or interlocutory hearing. The privilege afforded to these documents is the property of the client and not that of the solicitor, and therefore the only way that it may be waived is by the client, and it is not within the solicitor’s gift to do so.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2004 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Roddis John Thanks for your response. How would that apply then to the following: 1. An accident occurs and the safety adviser feels it will result in enforcement and so contacts his solicitor before completing a report. 2. The HSE visit and suggest that action may be taken but have not yet made a decision. The SA contacts his solicitor and they agree a report will be prepared to identify causes and avoid recurrence. 3. Same as 2 but the report is to advise his solicitor re liability. It would be really useful if you or anyone could answer these questions for me. I have views on them but would appreciate an independant perspective.