Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2004 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Edwards As part of our cleaning process we use ISO Propanol and Acetone. We are a small user and the solvents are in ordered in 25 Lt drums. The drums the solvents are contained in, up until recently, have always been coloured coded, Blue for ISO Propanol, Red for Acetone now they are both being packaged in blue drums which has caused confusion amongst some of the workforce. I have contacted the supplier re the change but, they say it does not matter what the colour of the drum is, its the label that is important. I have look at packaging regs etc but cannot find any clarification. Can anybody else help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2004 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury Kevin I'm not aware of any regulatory requirement on colour coding (but am happy to receive correction on this). Certainly the regulatory requirement is for labelling - both under road transport regs and the CHIP regs. What seems important to me is your relationship between yourselves and your supplier. If the relationship is good then they should be sympathetic to a request to supply the different chemicals in different coloured drums. Failing that, you could get your goods-in section to colour-band one of the drums with tape. Hope this helps but please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss further. Tony Overbury