Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2004 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Gosney Would it be possible for anyone to clearly clarify the difference in the two types of assessments? I think I have seen this subject before on the IOSH website but cannot find it.Getting information on the subject from the web is proving difficult. I have my own ideas as to the differences but would like to get other peoples views. Many thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2004 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Wyatt A Qualitative risk assessment is not evaluated numerically, whereas a quantitative one is. Quantitative risk assessment would typically assign values for severity and probability, the sum of these producing a value that you can use to compare with other risks, or to compare "before" and "after" implementation of controls. Quantitative assessments come with a health warning - you have to have a clear view of what you want to achieve or you just come away with a lot of meaningless numbers! They are best used to assign priorities to actions. Regards, MJW
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2004 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CJ A quantative risk assessment is one based on objective data, such as concentrations of substances in an area compared against OEL's. A numerical risk rating system is completely subjective and therefore qualitative.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2004 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear all, The difference between a qualitative and quantitative risk assessment is not whether you use numbers, it is dependant upon whether the risk assessment is based upon a measured or counted property or the thing being evaluated such as probability of an event occurring. Thus the risk assessment whereby one multiplies the hazard severity by the risk likelihood is not a quantitative risk assessment but a qualitative risk assessment because it is based upon ordinal or ranking data and not on a measured quality. However it could also be described as a semi-quantitative risk assessment. Quantitative risk assessment is normally used for reliability studies for the nuclear, chemical or safety critical injuries. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2004 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood A common misunderstanding and I agree with the previous response. The main use of quantitative RA in the UK is to help evaluate the tolerability of risk in a 'societal' or workplace context with HSE recommendations such as contained in their Guidance Document "The tolerability of risk from nuclear power stations", HMSO, 1988, ISBN 011 883982 9, and "Quantified risk assessment: Its input to decision making", First published 1989, reprinted 1994,ISBN 0717605205. Considerable work has to be undertaken to do QRA and usually a scientific or engineering background will be necessary, along with a sound knowledge of the safety management processes to identify how much control is required. Normally, QRA would be used where the historical failure risk is low (little chance of it happening) but the hazard significance is high - such as for a rare but known event (chemical plant explosion for example) and which could result in multiple casualties.