Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2004 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Hi With respect to an Engineering workshop what heading do "Barrier Creams" and "Moisturising Creams" come under. Would they be considered as PPE, because they perform the functions of protecting the skin and then restoring the skins own natural moisture. Or do they come under another umbrella altogether For example Machine Cutting Fluids will most definitely cause dermatitis if the skin is in contact with it for prolonged length of time (very reliable source of information - manufacturer of cutting fluid) or regularly over a long period of time and no precautions are taken. The apllication of Barrier prior to operating equipment will reduce contact with the skin by being a "Barrier". Then at the end of the day moisturising cream restores the skin's natural moisture. Also as I am not in an Engineering environment, do responsible companies do health surveillance with respect to machinists hands and dermatitis. Any thoughts factual or otherwise would be appreciated Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2004 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr Barrier creams should be used before a working shift, after every hand wash and at the end of every working day. They must be used with PPE and any other control measures that are available because barrier cream is not a form of PPE. Metal cutting fluids contain mineral oils that are a known cause of dermatitis so rubber, nitrile gloves should be worn also (not latex) in conguntion with the creams. Inform, instruct and train all people, on the use of barrier creams because a lot of people do think that if they use the cream alone they will be protected. Regards Gavin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2004 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver Hi, when i worked within an engineering environment we use to undertake hearing and dermatitis checks every 6 months. you can get a mobile inpsection van to visit your site and they will carry out occ health insepctions to your requirements. the company we used was called sound advice. regards Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2004 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian milne Barrier creams are apparently, there to provide some resistance to prevent ingress of a hazardous substance into the skin. The fact remains that both it and moisturisers should only be used with full PPE i.e. gloves etc. You will recognise that you still require to implment/follow the COSHH hierarchy i.e. elimination, substitution, exposure reduction etc before the issue of PPE. On a relevant note, you may/may not be aware that moisturisers are recommended for application to skin after 'each' wash as chemicals, sorry substances (incl ordinary soap)... apparently remove/deplete a minute level of the protective oils your skin needs to assist it in elasticity and protection. Mineral oils by their nature although 'oily' are effective in removing this natural oil and should be prevented from contact with skin or respiratory function (although I do believe that welders, metal finishers etc still refuse to agree with this small fact). I also seem to remember that EH40 and COSHH 2002 had some changes to the cutting fluids. Seek information from various suppliers (not just one though). I trust this information adds to the many responses that you have received.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2004 20:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Kelvin The only good thing one can say about 'barrier' creams is that they make it easier to remove the grime from dirty skin. As has been said above, they are not a barrier at all and must not be considered as such. If you want chapter and verse on the subject, call Chris Packham at Enviroderm or go on one of his presentations. Paul
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2004 20:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Regardng the efficacy of barrier cream I understand from HSE that a swedish study found that of 500 users none of them completely covered their skin. Like all coshh issues the answer lies in eliminating the nasties - have a look at the series of booklets on skin, gloves and metalworking fluids by HSE and I would second the last contributor - Chris Packham of Enviroderm will certainly give you his inside story on the relevant merits of barrier creams and gloves. However one product that has proven itself as a waterproof barrier cream, that actually protects the skin like a glove is Dermashield - you can find it on the web and they will send a free sample on request.