Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2004 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr A hydraulic vertical press machine (age 30 years), none CNC, no guard, no accident reported in the last 25 years of use, the last accident was for a cut from the materials been bent, tool size 30mm, used only twice a year. Operated by use of foot pedal, emergency control is remove foot the press moves back. A survey has been carried out, found a guard would get in the way of the activity it is used for, My question : - Is it still legal to use
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2004 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt No. But you may not have reviewed all the possible guarding options. Allan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2004 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood The HSE website is full of companies prosecuted for failing to adequately guard machinery. Guards very often do "get in the way". But they also save lives. It doesn't matter what argument you come up with for not having a guard on, there's no way you'll be able to maintain it in the face of a crippled worker or the relatives of a deceased one following an accident with that equipment! "I'm sorry little girl, your daddy died because I.........." There is always a way to guard a machine. I suggest you seek some expert advise on the subject, maybe from a supplier/installer of similar machines, or another user of similar machines. Suggestions may come from unlikely quarters too, so ask the workforce for ideas, not just for this, but for safety improvements in general. Situation like this that require creative thinking lend themselves to promoting employee involvement in H&S. You could try making a competition out of it and sticking some cash up as prizes. Much, much cheaper than a visit from your local HSE chap.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2004 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr Thanks for the replys Gents, This machine is a Carver Power Press, we now have one of our engineers constructing a guard, one that will hopfully be sufficient. It has been missed by a HSE inspector, BSI auditor, our previous H&S advisor, myself (I manage 18001) and four representatives of employee safety. It just goes to show that no-one is perfect.