Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2004 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darryl Can anyone enlighten me. My managers have heard about the CAWR and are jumping about a bit, saying to get a profesional survey costs alot of money, my argument being whats the cost of a life! But it says the duty to manage is to take reasonable steps to determine location and condition of materials. I have located it and the only asbestos i have found was a small part on the roof and this is getting replaced this year. Do we still have to get a qualified survey carried out and does this have to be completed by May? any help would be appriciated.Also is there a list of credited inspectors?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2004 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Uren Darryl Take a good look at the HSE site. There is lots of information about what to look for and what to do about it. It is not an out and out requirement to get rid of it but to keep a register of it's location so that anybody needing to disturb it is aware. If you have locations where it is exposed and damaged then you must do something about it. If you suspect because of the buildings age etc that there is lots of asbestos then getting a survey is the right thing to do. Just to reasure you, the regs will tell you that undisturbed and undameged asbestos is not an immediate risk to your staff etc. It's just your duty to know and record where it is. Then I would advise a long term plan to get rid of it thus allowing you to prioritise and budget for the potentialy high costs. Chris at Effective Safety
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2004 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Darryl. Are you sure this is all of the asbestos? Are you a UKAS accredited lab and has examination of the sample been carried out in accordance with relevant specification? Are you qualified to 'survey' the premises for asbestos, and aware of where it may be found in other parts of the structure or fabic of the premises? I would suggest you get hold of some information, starting with MHDS 100 and go from there... Regards... Stuart
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2004 17:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Darryl. I have sent you some information on asbestos surveys, sampling and testing. Regards... Stuart