Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2004 21:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Taylor An argument developed in my local pub last night between myself and a friend who claimed it is ok to wear a wooly hat underneath his safety helmet (while at work-not in the pub!) Can anyone point me in the right direction as to a specific regulation so i can put this argument to rest. Are there any forms of head gear that can be worn underneath a safety helmet to protect the worker against the cold but still afford suitable protection? Cheers Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 February 2004 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Paul. An interesting scenario. The requirements are that the safety head protection must be properly adjusted withfixtures inside the shell and adjusted correctly to fit the wearer, and that the minimum space between head and shell, as defined by the manufacturer, is attained. I won't go into the maintenance issues. Supposing that all the above is done and the head protection is adjusted to a fit that will meet the criteria, even if wearing a 'wooly hat' under the head protection, it could be argued that this is OK, and that the additional layer could provide extra protection in the event of an impact, however, 'wooly hats' are not part of the manufacturers test procedures in respect of their product (as far as I am aware that is), and therefore there may be problems that arise, that due to the wearing of a 'Wooly hat' under the head protection, it invalidates the protection standard and could also (as it is untested) add to any problems associated with an impact on the head protection. The obvious and immediate results of this could, for example be: 1) due to wooly hat use the head protection slips off, either in ormal use or under impact 2) claim for injury resulting from an impact being void due to the specifications for use of the head protection not be applied, or at least contributory negligence. 2) employers being regarded as negligent for permitting wearing of head protection in a manner outside the required specifications 3) failure of the device as was not properly adjusted due to wooly hat use etc As a matter of interest, in the last few days I have seena photgraph of a person wearing a wooly balaclava over the outside of a hard hat! whilst it looked 'different' it obviously helped in keeping the wearer warm, and in essence permitted the wearer to have the hard hat properly adjusted to fit his head (one presumes)... It could be argued therefore that exterior wearing, such as above, is preferential to interior wearing as in your scenario, and may offer aditional assistance in keeping the head protection on the head if no chin strap is employed! However, as the protection afforded by hard hats is that of destruction on impact, disipating the force of the impact around the shell, the wearing of a wooly hat on the outside could create other problems, such as increased risks of further injury when manipulating the person to give first aid, or acting similar to the lump of clay that used to be affixed to the point of crossbow bolts, enabling then to pierce armour rather than glance off!! hence an object piercing the helmet rather than glancing off it!! Hope these ideas give some assistance to your argument...
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2004 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bev You can get quilted liners to go inside hard hats. They are made to fit the hats, so presumably have been tested accordingly. I used to work with an interesting character who used to wear the liner on its own in the office to keep his bald head warm! As fashion statements go, I think it said everything you needed to know about him! Actually, he was a really nice bloke, but I think someone should have done a stress assessment on him! Best wishes,
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2004 20:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Taylor Thanks for your help.I shall inform my freind of your comments in the pub this weekend.I might need to take my hard hat or at the very least - ear muffs! Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2004 20:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Good luck...and have one for me too !! Stuart
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2004 22:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Speaking of fashion statements, I have noticed that nearly every building site you encounter these days many workers are wearing their hard hats back to front like baseball caps. No one seems to be tackling the issue. Also many wear wooly hats underneath and the hard hat is ballanced on the top. Apart from being unsafe it all looks quite ridiculous. aye in my day lad you wore the gear properly or your off the site signing on box one next day !!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2004 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello Paul, Unfortunately it is all about fashion. Most people do care what they look like, though some just do not. There was a previous thread some time ago about people not wearing hard hats properly and someone said they knew someone who wore their hat back to front but with the liner the right way around! If they turn their hat back to front so they can see better when looking upwards to climb ladders etc, get them one with a reduced peak or one without a peak. I had a problem with people who complained they couldn't see properly because their safety glasses gave them sore heads, there was glare, etc. We looked at the lighting, tried a number of different pairs of safety glasses, etc. but after exhausting all options I came to the conclusion that that this was merely a perception. In the end, they purchased their own safety glasses which they were more than happy with. In the PPE catalogue they just happened to be described as "fashionable aviator style". I also revamped the choice of safety footwear and both the women and men have about 5 styles of quality ones to choose from. We had done some trials of these shoes which went okay. However, most of the women picked a Terra Jody retro trainer (navy & white, looks very fashionable) only to realise after a few months of wearing that the plain black boring shoe is actually what most people find the most comfortable. I have people trying to persuade me that they wear Caterpillar boots outside of work and they find them really comfortable, so we should look at including Caterpillar boots in our selection. To tell you the truth, I am just waiting on someone to see the safety glasses in the Arco catalogue with pink or amber lenses and tell me that they would like these. Aaargh!!! Karen
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2004 20:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Taylor Thanks again for your replies. I posted them on to my freind unfortunately he claimed he could not remember the conversation!!! He never forgets who got the last round in though !! I have only just recently took up a safety postion and every week since, my freind tries to impress everyone with his superior knowledge of the subject and at the same time try to catch me out. It can be quite amusing but slightly worrying at the same time !!! Cheers Paul
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2004 20:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Well there's a simple answer Paul... Take the initiative, read up on it and start testing his knowledge. he will soon give it a rest once you've made him look a pratt a few times... and you might assist yourself by getting to know and remember a few more things more easily... best of luck... Stuart