Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2004 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I know this is a long shot but has anyone got any information on how many people in the UK are infected with Hep B and C? I'm working with a school on their risk assessment on this problem as they can't afford the vaccinations and the LEA is saying it's the school's responsinbility...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2004 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Zoe A question best asked of your local CCDC, Consultant in Communicable Disease Control - get in touch either through your local EHO or Acute Health Trust Microbiologist. Regards
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2004 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt I did come across a figure of 1 in 1000 as carriers for Hep B, but cannot remember where I saw it. Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2004 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I've just run this past the Royal Mail Chief Medic, who says: The information is held in the Public Health Lab and also by HSE under RIDDOR. But the key point is that people who feel they may be at risk should consult with their GP, and if they need it they will get a free vaccination. If the occupation is low risk in respect to B and C, which schools are, the case doesn't arise. Anyway, it's an individual thing and not a school policy that's involved here. The pupils are very unlikely to be at special risk. Hope this helps. Allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2004 21:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mork There's lots of good information at http://www.hpa.org.uk/ Just click on "Infections Topics A-Z" etc. There's also http://www.neli.org.uk/ Good luck.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2004 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis I wouldnt have thought there was a need to cary out a vaccination programme at a school, as Allan says it is low risk in this area, unless it is a special school with disabled children and where you have biters, scratchers etc and staff are therefore at risk through contact with blood products etc. In which case then it would bring the risk into a higher category and when you should then offer vaccinations. The problem is with the GP route - although free in most cases, there is lack of control, you dont know who has been , if the vaccination has taken, if follow ups are needed and chasing up on renewals etc. There is also a small risk from the innoculation itself. I would recomment this is co-ordinated via the occupational health unit if you have accesss to it.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2004 18:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey For data for the UK look at http://www.hpa.org.uk/in..._az/hepatitis_b/menu.htm This was available from the phls but is now in the hands of the Health Protection Agency.