Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2004 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier
I am in the process of writing a policy on working with live electricity at work. I have covered the main items, however we have a calibration and repair section and they sometimes have to work live, for fault finding. I understand that live working is a last resort and we already apply that policy. Is there any guidance or does anyone have suggestions we could incorporate for the controls that we should have in place for this?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Simon

HSE have published some guidance on electrical testing which may be relevant. Check out EIS 35 - 38, available online.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2004 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Dear Simon

I suggest you read HSG 85, 'Electricity at work, safe working practices'.

Live working, where it can be dangerous, is indeed a last resort, and must be justifiable.

You will have to establish the need (i.e. work cannot be done any other way), the competence of the people doing the job, the space, access, lighting and accompaniment.

The area should not be accessible to others not engaged in the work. The people doing the work must have the right tools and suitable protective equipment to do it.

Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2004 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George
Simon

Well this one will scare most people to death. - LIVE WORKING ON ELECTRICITY - Oh no!!!.

Well I understand that you may need to do it and also it does not have to be a last resort. We would not want to shut down South london just because the lady at #4 needs to have a new electrical supply box fitted coz her last one is 50 years old and damaged.

You might want to contact the large electrical utility companies because they will most certainly all do live working and seeing as they have very few accidents then they should have a pretty good SSW in place. Other than that how about the Institute of Electrical Engineers

Cheers Kelvin

Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2004 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts
Simon,
Remember there is a requirement to have someone trained in resusitation available when live working is taking place.

regards
Phil
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2004 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Williams
If you wish to visit our website www.ElectricalTraining.co.uk you will see that there are some very useful links that might prove to be helpful to you
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier
Thank you all for your advice very useful

Regards

Simon Carrier