Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2004 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Rossington
I wonder if anyone could give me a definitive answer to gritting car parks and walk ways into premises that the public will access. What is the building owners responsibility?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2004 19:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Keith.

The workplace regulations have requirements for employers to maintain their workplaces, including areas that are trafficked by both pedestrians and vehicles, and further to ensure that areas do not present slips, trip or fall risks.

As it is reasonably foreseeable that icy conditions could cause slips, trips and falls, not only for employees but others as well, therefore it is arguable that rock-salting of trafficked areas, including car parks, is reasonably practicable...

Stuart
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2004 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
I had an enquiry recently on a similar line. A manager at one of our care homes was in a quandary about whether he should grit the pavement outside the home.

He was concerned that if having put grit down, and a member of the public was to slip over on the odd bit of ice - would we be liable - for not doing the job properly - in sub-zero temperatures! I don't know the answer to this one.

Sorry to through some more confusion into your thread Keith - but I think this issue may be relevant to your question.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2004 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New
I suspect the liability question stems from a recent newspaper article where a judge commented on the possibility of a member of the public being sued for gritting the pavement outside their house. His reasoning was that it is a local authority responsibility, not that of the householder. If the householder didn't do the job properly then they could be held accountable for any accident arising.

On the original question, my feeling is that the employer has a duty to provide safe access and egress to and from the place of work. Therefore the employer should grit car parks and pedestrian access.