Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2004 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hickey Knowing what a sense of humour us Safety Officers, Advisors, Managers (not wishing to offend anyone by getting titles wrong) have, I would like to ask if anyone has a humorous risk assessment they can send me for a night out. We are shortly attending a building awards ceremony and as usual I am being asked for these form site agents. Can anyone help. Regards Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2004 20:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Steve, try the coshh evaluation of water - toxic (especially after a bout of ecstasy, corrosive (actually it really is very corrosive - hows yer car fer rust ?), explosive when mixed with certain metals, very low tlv, ld50 pretty high (eyebrow level)when you are drowning in the stuff, and must never under any circumstances be mixed with whiskey (well ok, maybe a drop or two). PPE for clean up of spills includes welly boots, marigold gloves, a ce approved umbrella and waterproof y-fronts (you don't want to go all crinkly do you ?) regards Merv Newman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2004 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott LOL!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2004 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd See the MSDS for coffee at http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/caffiene.htm Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes Shopping for a birthday card at the weekend I came across a card made up to look like a MSDS, warning of potential hazards of women!! It detailed the Product & Packaging info (make up and perfume), Hazard ID (Irritant), Handling & Storage (handle sensitively, especially at certain times of month), Stability and Reactivity (is not stable at mentioned times of month and reacts v badly to criticsm, also very volatile when mixed with other attractive women) and Transport (prefers to travel in Porsche, Ferrari etc). These were just some of the things that I remember on the card, but as a woman, I thought it was v v funny.....don't know if others might. I suppose us gals could make one up about guys........!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Steve, Another thing I did at a work night out was I had an awards ceremony where everyone in the workforce (about 25) got some kind of award and a certificate. I wrote down all the things that people did during the year and by the time the night out came around, I had lots of ammunition. One guy got the Nice Butt award - but I was of course referring to his butt weld for which he had passed the 'stringent' test. Two others got the Good Penetration award. I was not talking about the quality of their welding, I was referring to the fact that their girlfriends had become pregnant. Mr Vain got a mirror, Driver of the Year (who overturned a FLT) got a toy FLT to practice on and Mr Loverman got an 18 pack of "Extra Safe" to keep him out of trouble. The boss got "Excuse of the Year" - one day he drove over angle iron in the yard and burst a tyre on his jeep. He came crashing in through the door in a rage and shouted, "If they had moved that angle iron when I told them to, I would never have driven over it and burst my tyre". It was very well received. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2004 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Karen, That all sounds a bit risky to me. Reminded me of a press article I saw the other week. Evidently, Lego presented some of their staff with little model men that were supposed to resemble them. One chap, who had a withered arm, got a lego man with an arm bandage. Quite rightly, he sued.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2004 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Rooney MIOSH MIIRSM When teachin people how to carry out a risk assessment i have used the following example: Its your anniversary but you went to the pub with work mates instead of going home to a candlelit meal with the wife Thats a HAZARD You were reminded before you left for work NOT to be late & to bring some wine home. The LIKELIEHOOD of injury is High Your partner has a terrible temper and a strong right arm. They like to throw things and have a good aim. The SEVERITY will be very serious You will be injured - no question The RISK RATING will be very high Buy flowers from 24hr garage. Don't make excuses, apologise profusely and be ready to duck. These are your "Control Measures"! Regards Derek
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2004 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hickey As usual I am never disappointed by the responses I get from this forum. Cheers Everyone