Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2004 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Dear all I am posing the following questions for someone who works offshore but cannot access the internet at the minute: * Is there any legislative requirement for an individual to wear long trousers under his coveralls, when working in a Hydrocarbon Environment such as an oil refinery or in my case, oil rig. I have become aware of an individual you wears running shorts under his coveralls and rather than tackle him head on, I would like to find out if there is any need, other than good common sense, for me to discuss the safety aspects of the situation with him. We are all issued with fire retardant coveralls but after half a dozen washes, in our industrial sized laundry machines, I am sure all such retardant is gone from the coveralls. Any pointers on this matter will be greatly appreciated. * We have three spare lifejackets, which are surplus to requirements and it is my understanding that they are to be auctioned off to the highest bidder with the proceedings going into our charity fund. I am sure I have read somewhere that even though we were to inform the new owner that they need to have the jackets serviced as per manufacturers guidelines, the company would be held liable should some one suffer injury whilst using this or any other second hand equipment. Is this the case or are we exempt of any liability because the equipment is not being sold for profit? * Last but not least, do you have any info on the Heindrich Triangle that I might be able to use, whilst preparing a short PowerPoint presentation on Incident/accident ratio's? Hope someone can help Regards Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2004 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bev Nick, I think I can answer your first question: When I worked in Transco, they issued probanised overalls and also proban trousers and tops. I've seen safety videos of the flame retardent qualities and it is better if there are several layers worn. The best thing is several layers of the flame retardent clothing (proban or nomex etc), but a lot of people the Transco didn't bother with the trousers. In summer it was even worse because the men were obviously tempted to wear shorts under their overalls. The advise I can give you is: If they are issued with other clothes to go under their overalls, you can count this as PPE and tell them they have a legal requirement to wear all PPE provided (HASAWA Section 8 I think). If they are not issued with other clothes, then the next best thing is natural fibres, such as cotton. Therefore denim jeans are preferable to nylon jogging bottoms, due to the fact that nylon will melt onto the skin and make a burn worse but cotton will not. As far as legislation goes, I don't know of any particular legal requirements - it just depends on your risk assessment and what you decide is required. Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2004 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Nick, Thanks for posting the queries Bev Thanks for the answer to one ot them. I have reposted them as individual queries as some people may have missed them initially due to them being related to offshore. Once again thanks for your help. It is always appreciated. Best Regards Frank
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2004 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt There is an interesting paper on accident causation at http://www.nae.edu/nae/e...04759c185256dd60053b88d/$FILE/vanderschaaf.PDF Regards Jane
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Jane, Thankyou for the info. Unfortunately I can't find the link on my laptop. Would it be possible for you to send me the PDF file direct? Regards Frank