Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2004 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts
Morning All,

Does anyone have a protocol/procedure that they use for identifying new employees, first aiders etc. If you do for example identify new starts by hard hat colour when do they change hats to become main stay.

If anyone does have a protocol Can I see it please.

Lew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2004 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Lewis,

I have seen first aiders wear green hard hats with the green & white cross sticker on the front of it (although the manufacturers do not recommend putting stickers on hard hats).

I have also seen red hard hats used on the killing line in slaughter halls (for obvious reasons) with blue hard hats used on butchering lines. That way it was easy to see people who were skiving - you would easily see people who had come into the area from other departments.

White hats are generally worn by supervisors.

In areas where people wear mob caps (hairnets) but not hard hats, I have seen first aiders identified by red mob caps.

Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2004 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood
when i worked down the mines some years ago i might add trainees and apprentices had to wear yellow hard hats as apposed to white ones.
allan wood
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2004 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams
In alot of offshore locations, green hats are worn by contractors and visitors.
Royal Navy use blue hats....suprise suprise, but the person in charge of the evolution wears white. The navy uses armbands to identify people with specific roles, i.e. first aid, first response fire party etc.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2004 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Uren
Lewis

One of my customers (manufacturing)identifies new starters and temps (they have lots of temps)by the colour of their jacket and if the job requires it hard hat. Its a great way to pick out staff who may be vulnerable at times like fire etc and helps the floor supervisors / managers target help and advice.

It works realy well and after they are onto the full staff and have received all the safety training and awareness needed, they get to move onto a different jacket / hat.

As part of my audit I questioned the staff about their feelings on the system and recieved realy good feedback.

chris
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2004 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart
Have emailed you direct with colour coded hard hat sign / protocol.

Hope this is useful.

Danny.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2004 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
As a change to hard hats, which can get muddled unless strictly controlled, our first aiders wear orange retroreflective waistcoats, as opposed to the normal dayglow saturn yellow type.