Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Anyone any experience of this ? What is it, how does it work, and did you find it affective ? Shane.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2004 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Hi Shane, The DuPont STOP programme was the Safety Training Observation Programme around in the 90's and is a behaviour based system of training. I have used both Stop for Employees and Stop for Supervision with a lot of success. You need a lot of support from senior management and a lot of effort from all involved to make the system work. I don't know what the current material from DuPont looks like, the old versions had videos that were a bit hammy and US biased. I have used a chap to shoot videos on the site I worked on to produce site specific material that worked well. I think Stop is a good tool if used as part of your overall safety programme. It won't work unless people are committed to putting things right. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2004 19:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Shane We used it in Haliburton Geophysical Services in the early 90's and at that time it was not popular. Start Telling on Other People was the anacronym that was commonly used and the work force resisted it strongly. This was mainly due to the US management structure and also the fact that we genuinely believed it wouldbe used as a tool to get people sacked. However there is no reason why it should not work and work well. I would say though the workforce MUST know that it is not a sacking tool otherwise you will be wasting your time. Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2004 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Shane, my info is a bit out of date as I left du pont more than ten years ago but as european safety consultant for DP part of my job was to sell the stop programme. Stop has been in existence now for over 30 years. (and I had it "done" to me when I was a 1st line supervisor)Just before I quit we had completed a remake, including the videos mentioned above. Inside DP it works well but outside it is more difficult. There are a number of modules, (8?) taken on a weekly basis. It has to start from the top with senoir managers who then administer it to their staff and so on down the line. The difficulty there is keeping everyone to the schedule. Eventually you come to the spying bit (audit of unsafe acts and dangerous situations) when a green card is completed for every anomaly identified - and your manager will probably set you a weekly target, rather like traffic wardens - "How many people can you catch out ? As said above, it can work but it is not easy to administer and it has a lot of negative aspects. Since leaving DP I have successfully adopted a "positive" approach - identify good practices and re-inforce them by recognition and reward. Works like a charm. Merv Newman
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2004 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche We used to use STOP onboard our vessels, and we had to "hit targets" for the number of incidents written up. In the end it started causing resentment, as the system was seen as petty. I think that this compromised what would have been an effective system, a lack of training for new employees was also absent, so new people never used to write cards as they weren't sure what to do. There were positves to out of the system, but management still chose to ignore costly or difficult items raised. Summary, good system, poor implementation.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2004 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham I've also been subjected to this; people complained the videos were patronising and too American and after a few months of competitive form-filling (circulating the figures for how many cards each supervisor had filled in) the firm decided to let it drop. I never got my head around the claim that "all accidents can be prevented".
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2004 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun allport After being a DuPont employee for many years.... Their approach to H&S was of a very high level that has benefited me today, the STOP program "Safer Training Of Personnel" was very good indeed, although a tad Americanised. It was all about culture building from the top down and involving everyone along the way. Through the methods available and everybody’s commitment and attention to detail.. I i believe "accidents are preventable"
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby Shane I used the STOP programme in the 1980's and found it extremely useful in promoting health & safety. In those days videos were not used. As for the filling in of the green cards there was some feeling at the start that they were a 'spying' mechanism but with careful training people soon realised that they were part of the training. At no time were targets set on the number to be filled in. The important bit was that the programme was led by the Factory Manager and cascaded via senior managers to all other managers and supervisors. The timescale is set by you - there is no need to do it weekly. In fact monthly seemed the better option as this allowed for people to use the training between modules to ensure the process was bedded in before proceeding to the next module. Why not ask Dupont for a sample and try it out yourself before rolling the programme out? It must be used as part of H&S improvement not just as a stand alone project. Best of luck John C
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2004 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Usher Shane, The STOP system is being used widely across North Sea Oil platforms and success in its use is down to management buy-in. A few points to remember - It is very expensive (There are cheaper altrernatives on the market) - It needs full commitment from everyone - It takes a long time for the message to sink in(up to two years)- There is a great potential for abuse(cards getting made out in the tea shack!) - STOP is about behaviour modification and involves talking to people and discussing good as well as bad behaviour. If done properly it can be a very effective tool. John
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2004 07:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Irwin I used the STOP system about 2 -3 years ago. It did generate an immediate improvement in accident performance but the main failing that I found was that it ran out of steam. After the initial training there was a refresher module but after that it dried up.