Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2004 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Am I just a old pedant or does the oxymoron "near miss" annoy anyone else? You don’t say "cor! that nearly missed me" do you? Anyone want to join my campaign to drive out this expression?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2004 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Perhaps "near hit" would be a better term? or "near incident/accident" Chris
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2004 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I doubt you'll have much difficulty getting support for this, since it is somewhat of a misnomer, but...... A lot of our time is spent in trying to instill good behavior or reduce bad human behaviours. Mostly we do this by training in one way or another, and the key to training is being understood. If you describe something as a "near miss" to the average man in the street, he understands exactly what you mean. This understanding should be sufficient justification for the phrase's continued use. Plain English campaigns and the like are encouraging us all to remember that effective communication is vital for success in almost any field. Alec Wood
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2004 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald I prefer "unsafe condition" or "unsafe act". i.e. hammer kicked off scaffold and landing on ground would be both. Unsafe act.....kicking/dropping/loss of control of hammer Unsafe condition.....no toeboard, hammer left unattended (housekeeping)etc. Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2004 12:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle there are, to me, it appears four ways of viwing something: 1) before it happens - preventative 2) when it happens - e.g. an accident/incident 2a) after if happens - e.g. an accident or near miss Items 2), 2a) are always going to be 'after the fact' and therefore look at it retrospectively, therefore the term near miss is an adequate and seemingly understood description of the incident after it has happened. The term 'near hit' does not seem to have the same flavour, as a hit indicates some that happened (ie. it hit, it was hit, it will hit, ect). whereas the term 'miss says exactly what is means, it missed, it almost occurred...but did not actually occur (or hit)...
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2004 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle the other, or fourth view, is presumptive, it is going to happen!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2004 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie How can you have a 'near hit'? it either hit's or it doesn't. You can have 'nearly hit' but it doesn't sound as good.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 March 2004 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Sounds a bit too much like "hair splitting" to me. My view is that the differences between an accident and a near miss is simply luck. Therefore to my mind, a near miss (or nearly hit) is investigated in the same way and accident is. :)
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2004 17:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Friday afternoon come early for you Jim? You must know this has been done to death on here already!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 05 March 2004 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Jim, I have never been comfortable with the phrase 'near miss' and once described it as an idiom, which I believe means peculiar to the language. A near miss indicates to some that nothing happened when obviously something did ocurr. Therefore near misses are often not taken seriously, indeed due to the large amount of potential accidents important data can be lost. It may be a case of semantics as some have already suggested but I would prefer the term 'incident' as opposed to near miss. On a broader concept there should be a standardisation of terms in accident and incident analysis because I find many terms confusing e.g. underlying causes, root/primary cause, secondary causes, slips, lapses etc. Perhaps I may take up the subject for a future MPhil/PhD ! Regards Ray
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 March 2004 21:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater Hi Jim, Of course we don't say "that nearly missed me" in reference to a near miss; and the reason is that it isn't a nearly miss. It is a near miss! Nearly means almost, not near as in proximity of space or time. I don't want to get hung up on the English language, but you have to understand that near miss is a well used and widely understood term, by H&S professionals and the wider workforce. Perhaps we could say hazard analysis in future instead of risk assessment(?) It's just a term that people understand - don't beat yourself up about it. Regards, Mark
Admin  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2004 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sally Jim I agree totally with you, it irritates me as an expression. By definition if something nearly missed you it in fact hit you. That said it is a well know expression that everyone understands and having spent the first couple of years of my safety career trying to persuade others to share my opinion I've learnt to live with it :-)
Admin  
#13 Posted : 08 March 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Jim, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We are about to revise our reporting system and I put this point forward, arguing (eloquently, I felt) that the term "potential loss" was more appropriate. However, the term "Near miss" is likely to be retained for the reasons already stated - 1. it is prevalent across all industry sectors already, and 2. it is generally recognised and understood by "the man on the street" (the same one that the court refers to perhaps??) On a similar vein I have for some time railed against the term "accreditation" when in reality organisations are certified (or registered) by accredited certification bodies. The fact is, even the CBs themselves now talk about accreditation services because the misnomer is so prevalent it would only confuse (and upset) potential clients to correct them! So they go with the flow. After all, what's in a word?!? :-) If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck . . .
Admin  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2004 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster For the pedants: At first sight, "near miss" does seem to be a contradiction in terms, even though it's deeply ingrained in the language. Its origin is probably American. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage (1994), tracing the phrase to World War II, notes its ubiquity and concludes that "despite its apparent lack of logic, it is not an error." It would have referred to a bullet, shell or bomb that missed the observer, but was near enough to be of concern. Fowler's Modern English Usage defines a near miss simply as "a miss that was nearly a hit." (That's from the 1968 edition; the 1996 Fowler's omits the phrase, which suggests that it's no longer deemed worthy of discussion.)
Admin  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Agreeing with the gentleman who went to the dictionaries, I find that "near miss" is a usefull semi-technical expression, as said. a "near miss" should be compared with a "bad miss", particularly when you actually want to hit whatever it was that you missed. And in reply to jim's other question, well yes, in this family we do use the expression "that nearly missed me" usually as a consequence of a nearly successful dodge, duck or weave.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 12 March 2004 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john o'meara Jim, But what matters here? Whether the term is used correctly according to a precise, dictionary-defined meaning? Or is the meaning in the minds of people who use it more important? People do know what they mean when they use "near miss" - they think "gee, that nearly took my head off!" But something puzzles me when these topics arise (the use of "accident" also crops up from time to time). OHS is very much an evidence based, research orientated discipline, yes? So, when it comes to terminolgy in the public arena, shouldn't we research what these terms mean to people before attempting any changes? Maybe it's safety professionals, academics and dictionary compilers that need to make the shift. J.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 12 March 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I'm glad you started this thread - don't listen to anyone who criticises you for starting it. This is a really important point and is not just somantics. If organisations end up with muddled accident statistics, how can they hope to set proper health & safety objectives?! I work in an organisation that runs care homes for people with learning disabilities. Some of those people may thump someone. We call this 'challenging behaviour'. If the thump is weak and does not result in a bruise it is classed as a 'near miss'. Hang on a minute, it was a direct hit!! I'm struggling to find the right terminology. I agree about plain English as some of your responses are keen to point out. But, plain English is no good if it leads to miss-information - on a large scale - as it has in our organisation. I have thought about calling 'near misses' 'no-injury incident'. Even this is difficult - when does something become a minor injury instead of a 'near-miss' do you nead to draw blood, feel pain or something like that? One of your resonses suggested the word 'incident'. But this is a vary broad term and can include injuries in some definitions.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 12 March 2004 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I agree in part with the statement above "plain English is no good if it leads to miss-information - on a large scale", but not in this specific case I would argue. The English language is constantly evolving and common useage is most often regarded as adequate justification for the existance of a phrase or word. Surely the fact that everyone knows what it is is sufficient reason to continue its use, at least when communicating with people outside our field. Potential loss, event, and all the others are fine ideas, but you will have to explain what you mean by it in the very next sentence so why bother. Also, such alternatives would be open to misinterpretation which could, in turn, lead to inappropriate decisions/actions being taken. Talking of mis-information and mis-understanding when did violence become reclassified as "challenging behaviour", a description which would tend to conjour up the image of argumentativeness, stubborness or one of my teenage son's other delightfull traits. I understand that in this specific circumstance there is probably the expression of frustration rather than any real attempt to harm, but the distortion of the reader's understanding of the event is deliberate and indefensible.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 12 March 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Woods Jim, It's certainly a valid view and we found in our business that altering the term from "Near Miss" to "Item of Concern" allowed us to relaunch the system and gain greater confidence from employees. You have to do a bit more sorting as you can get some spurious ones in there, particularly in the early days. We have certainly found an increase in those employees who are prepared to send items in because they have a clearer understanding of the term.