Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2004 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Coshh Assessor Any tips for persuading employees to wear their hand and eye protection when working with irritant chemicals? Particularly the ones who have been doing the job for x number of years and it's never done them any harm. But please don't say enforcement by management or I'll cry.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2004 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood try some form of poster capaign showing instances of the results of not wearing the relevant ppe, try safteng for some really graphic pictures.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2004 17:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Get your handkerchief out then. You will have to discipline them. Doesn't your H&S law make it an offence for employees not to co-operate with H&S measures? Tim
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2004 19:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear All, Ask why they're not wearing the ppe, if they've a legitimate reason for not wearing the ppe, change the ppe to accommodate them providing that you can provide replacement ppe that provides adequate protection. Then inform & instruct them why, when and where and what they've got to wear; show them how. Go down the butchers, buy a pig's trotter put it in a jar of the stuff and let them watch! Make sure it is the most concentrated solution you can use. Once they know why it has to be worn, when, where and what ppe has to be worn and how the ppe has to be used you've got an attitude problem and you've got to enforce the rules. Sad but true! If they don't know, train 'em. If they know what to do but don't, enforce! Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2004 20:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Discipline or sack the worst offender, the rest will fall into line. Works every time. Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2004 07:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Garry Johnson As a safety rep for my company i know the importance of wearing PPE, So with that in mind i have been given the task of instructing my fellow employees. The men that i work with now do not think of it as "coming from management" but from someone that actually does the same job and is aware of the risks.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2004 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie I agree with Adrian's sentiments about involving the workforce in the choice of PPE; informing/demonstrating to them the need for the PPE and once fully aware disciplining those who don't comply. I would add that, in trying to change a culture, you should also praise/commend those who are setting a good example. Peer pressure is a strong factor in most workgroups. If the group leaders can be converted the rest are likely to follow.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2004 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Just to add what Martyn said: If the performance is good provide IMMEDIATE positive feedback, reward the person for the performance. If the performance is poor, check that the person knows how to perform safely! If they don't know it's a training and organisational problem. IF THE PERSON KNOWS HOW TO PERFORM SAFELY, provide IMMEDIATE feedback about the performance, NOT THE PERSON. Keep a record, to monitor performance because if this is a widespread or repeated problem, there may be underlying reasons for this. It may be that there is weak or inconsistent management performance; or management may be giving mixed messages such as providing positive feedback for productivity in pay and overtime but no feedback being given for safe performance; or there may be conflicts between safe performance and productivity; or the task may be organised in such a way that performance is impossible; or there may be equipment or environment factors that prevent or hinder safe performance; or your performance standard may be wrong or inconsistent with safe performance in all circumstances; or there may be a "them and us" culture. This list is neither exhaustive nor complete and there could be a myriad of other reasons for poor performance. Remember people to not perform in a vacuum; they are part of an organisation that exists at a specific time and location and has its values and beliefs (culture). It is not unsafe act + condition that cause mishaps; it is organisational, environmental and personal factors. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2004 23:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Clearly there are different views of how to encourage employees, it is a case of reward v discipline. I fall strongly on the side of reward with discipline as a last resort. In my opinion those who resort to discipline first are indicative of a 'weak' management, who do not understand their staff. It is human nature to resist enforcement, persuasion is likely to yield better results. Ray
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 March 2004 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Raymond, It's not reward v disciple, its reward (positive feedback) & discipline (negative feedback), with the emphasis on the front end. Regardless of what management does, it hasn't the option of doing nothing. Furthermore if it jumps in without identifying the real problem and analysing the situation to come to an acceptable solution, it's likely to do the wrong thing based on misconceptions and guesses and not resolve the problem. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2004 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson There is a good video out about wearing PPE when handling chemicals. You can get it from a company called Paragon Training. I think ROSPA has a similar type video. HSE do a chemical risk video as well. Might be worth your while to arrange hire of the video and arrange a viewing for your employees. Hope that helps. Sometimes it is a good idea to come from a human prespective rather than a legalistic one but sometimes the latter has to be applied eventually. Susan Sweeney Paragon Training Britannia House Leagrave Road Luton Bedfordshire LU3 1RJ Sorry don't have phone number Regards Robert Paterson
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2004 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Adrian, Actually I was referring to the comments thus far when I said 'reward v discipline' and my thoughts are in line with yours. Obviously management cannot ignore unsafe acts such as the non wearing of PPE, but I did include that discipline should be a last resort. Whereas others have gone straight into punishment mode, which is similar to the philosophy of 'the beatings will continue until morale improves.' Ray
Admin  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2004 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Coshh Assessor Thanks all for the helpful suggestions (although some of you did make me cry). The point about employee involvement is a very relevant one - safety "reps" appointed by management, without training, and having no interest or appreciation. But that's another subject ...
Admin  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2004 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Garry Johnson Further to my last post on this subject, as a lowly "safety rep" i am still in possession of a NEBOSH certificate, and as far as training is concerned i am an RTITB FLT instructor and a Manual Handling instructor, so with this in mind my Safety manager asked if it would be possible for me to put a training package together to get across the importance of PPE. So far this has been met with a positive response.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2004 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Raymond, I was not criticising you, but making comment on your post. However, if I came across as being rude or arrogant I apologise. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#16 Posted : 10 March 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson Hi there, PPE is a rubbish solution to any safety problem. Any chance of getting rid of the problem by substituting a safer substance or something in the engineering line like LEV and screens? Cheers, stevew
Admin  
#17 Posted : 10 March 2004 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Could you introduce some kind of bonus system? Some companies have a safety bonus (say £25/week) and if at any time during that week someone breaks safety rules, doesn't wear PPE, etc then they do not get the bonus. The bonus could be collective, so that any one person not wearing PPE etc could cause the entire workforce not to get their safety bonus. This works because the members of the workforce will soon remind anyone not wearing PPE to get it put on quickly before they are seen and everyone loses their bonus. Some bonuses encompass safety/timekeeping/sickness etc in the one bonus so that in a week if you are late, off sick, or do not wear PPE then those are all reasons for the company not to pay the bonus. In a previous company I worked for, you were allowed up to 5 minutes of lateness before your bonus got taken off you, this could be either 1 minute per day or 5 minutes all at once. Another system I have seen, and introduced in another company, was a ticket system. You have a small A6 ticket book in triplicate - managers, foremen and chargehands all get a ticket book. The top copy gets issued to the employee, the second copy goes in their personnel file and the third stays in the ticket book, or whatever. These tickets say something at the top like, "You have been given an official warning because you are not:" and then there is a list of boxes to tick, e.g. Not wearing (the correct) eye protection. Then at the bottom it says, "Any subsequent warning may result in the commencement of disciplinary proceedings". This actually worked quite well. Some people unfortunately behave like traffic wardens but I actually needed to issue very few tickets. You will get people who will scrumple the tickets up, but a copy still goes in their file. There was a little resistance and anxiety at first, but before it started the level of wearing PPE was extremely poor and it then became really good. The workforce nicknamed the tickets "Parking Tickets". It also caused some fun. One day 2 workers were about to set off in the van and another worker shouted to them, "Oi, you'd better put your seatbelts on before Karen gives you a parking ticket"! If you e-mail me, I can e-mail you one of the tickets. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#18 Posted : 10 March 2004 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Coshh Assessor "PPE is a rubbish solution." I have to disagree, though I too would love for chemicals to be harmless and processes to be completely enclosed. That it's often wrongly jumped on as an automatic response to any risk is not a reason not to use it at all when the engineering approach has been considered and found impractical!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 10 March 2004 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Lynch As an employeer I can only imagine that you are bound by legalislation to enforce the wearing of this PPE But I do hear your problem as I faced it my self The approch I took was information and education I gave a power point presentation which all employees had to attend and I encluded pictures/ Photos of real victims and much to my supprisethe following day it worked
Admin  
#20 Posted : 10 March 2004 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Adrian, No worries, I did not take offence to your comments and in any case if you think you are right then there is no need to apologise. The discussion forum is about alternative and diverging ideas. Apologies to Coshh Assessor, did not mean to 'hi-jack' your important thread. Ray
Admin  
#21 Posted : 18 March 2004 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Coshh Assessor My problem has now been solved in a most unexpected way. I've been instructed by management not to speak to production workers about health or safety, unless I happen to see something "very dangerous", because it distracts them from their work. However, I will pass on all the suggestions to Mr Nobody in whose remit it now is.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 18 March 2004 17:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I have great difficulty in restraining myself from using swearwords. Everyone is talking about rules, repression, discipline .... Take a look at behavioural safety. Identify what are the good behaviours Recognise, reward and reinforce the good people, the good groups. People, please, understand that BBS WORKS ! If anyone needs more convincing, more information, send me an e-mail. Merv Newman
Admin  
#23 Posted : 18 March 2004 18:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I suspect Coshh Assessor is extracting the urine.. Mr Somebody !
Admin  
#24 Posted : 19 March 2004 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Moulton Start by ensuring the PPE is suitable and comfortable for the tasks it is used for. In my experiance the bosses walk through the areas where PPE is required and are not wearing it, start with them and show them where their actions are reducing the effectiveness of your attempts to get the staff to wear their PPE. Get the union safety reps involved. Have awareness training sessions and once they have been retrained and they dont wear it they will then be in volation of the HASWA, so disipline them for gross misconduct. After the first few go through with the disipline procedure ( as you have the unions backing the staff will have minimum backing from the union). Best of Luck.