Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2004 20:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris
Following a joint venture my company now finds itself in a position as tenants in a building that has an extensive sprinkler system installed. With 400 plus staff on 4 floors engaged in call centre type activities, I was horrified to look up to see sprinklers installed on each floor.I am not a fire expert but feel alarmed at the prospect of setting off the sprinklers over thousands of pounds worth of PCs & people using them. Am I missing something obvious here? Do any of you out there experience the same situation? What can be done? In a similar vein I have to risk assess our hi tech server rooms & am looking for some accident cum incident material to scare the pants off our laid back facilities guy.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2004 22:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Haylett
Chris

I'm not sure why you should be horrified. The fact that your offices have sprinkler protection mean that any fire is likely to be contained and all your staff will be able to escape from the premises safely.

There is probably nothing you can do about the presence of the sprinklers as they are likely to be a requirement of the building's insurers and will be supported by the fire officer. A sprinkler head will not activate until heated to the necessary temperature (sprinkler head are either glass with a liquid will expands through heating to break the glass or bi-metalic strips). If a sprinkler head activates only the one head above the fire will activate unless a fire spreads to activate neighbouring head (the majority of fires are controlled by the activation of one sprinkler head).

In a low risk environment like an office there is little risk of accidential damage, activation or leakage of the sprinkler system providing that it is maintained and that the temperature is maintained above 5C to prevent freezing.
Also if a sprinkler head activates it is more like rainfall than a deluge of water.

The one area where sprinkler leakage or accidential damage would be of major concern is the file server room in view of the damage that could be caused. In this area you should consider the use of a gas suppression system instead although you would need to discuss this with your insurers and the landlord's insurers.

Finally, you can normally add sprinkler leakage cover to your the insurance covering your contents and computers and you should speak to your insurance broker/company about this.

Ian

Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2004 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott
What an excellent response. I had similar concerns, but this post has answered them!

Regards,
Chris
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2004 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
....and to put it more succinctly, what's more important: people or property?

Kieran
Safety rep
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2004 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vincent Butler
Dear Chris
I would support all that your colleague Ian says about sprinklers and add the following. The first point is that no one has ever died in a building protected by an operational fire sprinkler system and so you and your staff are now safe from fire. It is far better to get a little wet and maybe lose a computer than to die in a horrific way by being burnt to death. After all a computer can be easily replaced, but how do you replace a person? The second point is that sprinklers are very reliable and manufacturing defects are put at around 1:16,000,000. These include everything from cosmetic faults at one end of the scale to leakage at the other. Remember sprinklers are only operated by heat from a real fire and cannot be triggered by burnt toast etc like smoke alarms. Finally, I think you should be very pleased that your working environment is protected by the most efficient form of fire suppression known to man. I am sure you know that as manager of the office you have a duty of care for the health and safety of your employees. You can do no better than protect them from fire with a fire sprinkler system. If you would like to know more about sprinkler systems check out our web site at www.firesprinklers.info. Sir George Pigot Chief Executive
The Fire Sprinkler Association
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2004 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin Hughes
Chris.

To follow on from the replies already posted, I would be more horrified to find that the sprinkler system does not operate in the event of a fire. These systems, like any other safety measure, are required to be maintained on a frequent basis to ensure that, when it is needed, it will work and save lives. I would check the maintenance requirements for your system to ensure it has been maintained and is fully functional in the event of a fire. This should be a requirement under the Fire Certificate for the premises.
As stated previously ‘bits of metal and plastic’ can be replaced, a person’s life cannot.

Regards

Kelvin
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2004 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Excellent replies everyone - one other point is that the basic sprinkler layout is often designed on an "empty room or buiding basis". Based on calculated heatload from planned contents of the area. The layout is typically a geometric grid, which cannot take into account just where you are going to put your pc. Additional heads can later be installed to cover potential hotspots or shielded areas as for a portacabin installed as an office in a very high warehouse.

Finally, I don't like the "trunk and Branch" layout - water can only get to any specific head from one direction and, as mentioned, pipes do get blocked. I prefer to connect the ends of all branches in a grid-iron (think of an american football. field) The water then has three chances of getting to the head, bypassing any blockages.

Finally, again. If I do have to install a trunk and branch, I prefer to install a permanent drain valve on the end of EACH branch. Higher installation cost but later maintenance is vastly improved

Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 March 2004 22:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper
Chris,
When I read your enquiry, I was about to respond, but I would only be repeating what my learned friends have already advised.
Insurers want to protect property, and people should be out when the sprinklers are activated.
Superb answers guys

Barry
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 March 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris
Initially my query was prompted by concerns over water entering PCs, copiers, faxes etc & the risk from electrocution for fleeing staff. A huge thank you to all who gave a response, as I am now better informed over sprinkler operational factors as well as realising that by activation all staff should be outside.Once again many thanks.
Please can this be copied to all who contributed?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2004 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber
Chris,

Just a final (late) note on this matter. The fact is that if the sprinklers are activated by the heat of a fire (and remember they will not all activate at once) the PC's would probably have suffered terminal smoke damage before they ever see water. More PC's end up scrapped because of smoke damage than water. Also even in server rooms water is often considered the least damaging option for fire suppresion.

As for the comment that no one has ever died in a sprinklered building they used to say no sprinklered building had ever been lost, that is until we lost one! Never say never!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2004 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
sprinlers can get overwhelmed, some fires in some circumstances can spread so fast that the available water supply can be exhausted. I remember the case of a warehouse in texas where aerosol cans went off like rockets spreading the fire over vast areas. Despite that I maintain that people have an enormously higher chance of surviving a fire in a sprinklered building.

About 20 years ago we had a new house built to our own design (my wife's). I tried to get a quote for installing discreet spinklers and got laughed at.

Anyone want to come into business with me offering sprinkler systems for domestic housing ? No reserve tank, just run off mains pressure. It's gotta be simple.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2004 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek
Merv, re your last comments on domestic sprinklers, there are many organisations supplying these (just enter "domestic sprinklers" into your search engine to see how many)!

I have a domestic sprinkler head in front of me right now & it would not look out of place in any home as it has a detachable white cover which is released by water pressure. The Fire Brigade had a big push on these some 3 years ago & estimates then were that over 400 lives could be saved.

Retro fits can be a bit pricey,(although what price a life) but on new builds, the costs can be minimal in comparison to the total cost.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
All,

For anyone who wants further information on how sprinkler systems work contact either Ken Bishop or Chris Hood at Tyco Fire & Security (Wormald Fire Systems).

Phone 0161 455 4586 or e-mail wfs.marketing.uk@tycoint.com or see the website www.wormald.co.uk

There is an excellent free 2 CD-ROM set on waterbased enginguished systems they can send you that has loads of presentations on how the various water based systems work and videos of them in action. I highly recommend watching them.

There is also an interview with a coroner in one of the video clips, who after watching the videos of the sprinkler systems in action said something along the lines of that he would have to mention in cases of fire death that a sprinkler system may have saved the persons life.

I think it also shows sprinklers in domestic properties, although this was maybe a trial.

Regards,

Karen Todd
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 April 2004 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dale Rose
I stumbled across this discussion forum by accident -- there are some excellent comments raised. I would like to add the following points which supplement some of the statements already made:

There is a difference in the design of sprinkler systems specifically for life safety in comparison with property protection. In addition, there are further constraints to be considered with a life safety system that make it more onerous. The vast majority of sprinkler installations are designed for property protection.

The media does not help the cause of sprinkler systems by suggesting in films and TV adverts that all sprinkler heads discharge in the event of a fire, i.e., if one head activates then they all go off throughout the building -- this is nonsense! The vast majority of fires in sprinklered buildings are controlled by one or two heads activating.

Different design characteristics are applied to sprinkler systems, i.e., the sprinkler coverage for an office area and the amount of water delivered will not be the same as for a warehouse building containing flammable materials / aerosols products. Sprinklers can be overcome by fire growth if the strict design guidelines have not been followed (LPC Rules / Factory Mutual (FM) Standards / NFPA Standards, VdS, etc.)

There are separate design criterion for sprinklers protecting aerosol storage and normally the Insurer would require some form of containment in addition to prevent 'rocketing' (caged storage area or seperate contained storage area) causing the fire to spread from one part of a building to another.

Finally, the basis of the majority of sprinkler installation designs is to control the fire growth until the arrival of the Fire Authority. Specific types of sprinkler system such as Deluge, Large Drop and ESFR are designed to supress the fire.

Useful sources of information on automatic sprinkler installations is available from the Fire Protection Association (FPA) or the British Automatic Sprinkler Association (BASA), to name a few.